We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome with Day Trips

New Jersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
125 reviews
Rome with Day Trips

Planning a trip to Europe in May 2017. Thinking arrive in Rome and stay 4 nights same hotel. Do Rome but take a day tour to Naples/Pompei and one to Amalfi Coast. Then maybe fly to Ireland for last 3 nights of vacation and fly out from there. Too much - concentrate more on just Italy?

California
Level Contributor
12,604 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Rome with Day Trips

hi: there is arrival and get to hotel time, as well as travel time in between each change in destinations, so it's helpful to know that 3 nights somewhere does not equal 3 days in a destination; it's more like 2-2.5 days and that's because you have to get there from your previous place...

Wanting to go to Naples, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast leaves you absolutely no time for Rome. Highly recommend dropping the idea of Ireland and instead create a more enjoyable trip in Italy. You could stay in Rome 4 nights and Naples 3 nights (fly in Rome/out Naples).

What would that look like with travel time?

-arrive Rome, 1/2 day

-Rome 3.5 days/4 nights

-train to Naples 1/4 day

-Naples 2.5 days/3 nights (day trip to Pompeii, 1.5 days Naples)

-fly out Naples

OR one night less in Rome, one more in Naples. You could also fly in Naples and end your trip in Rome.

-arrive Naples, 1/2 day

-Naples 3.5 days/4 nights (day trip to Capri, day trip to Herculaneum, 1.5 days Naples)

-train to Rome 1/2 day

-Rome 2.5 days/3 nights

-fly out Rome

You will want to be in your departure city the night before.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
729 reviews
2. Re: Rome with Day Trips

You are essentially cutting your time in Rome to 2 days ... which is really very, very little time to experience the Eternal City. This is particularly true as you are perhaps including your arrival day (when you may be very jet lagged) and departure day. Personally, I would say spend the 4 days in Rome, without the day trips, or extend your trip in Italy (and leave Ireland for another trip) as suggested in post #1. That being said, what particular things do you want to see in Rome? That would help you figure out how many days to stay.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,191 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Rome with Day Trips

It's too much travel with only a week worth of time. Concentrate on Rome. IF you wish to see the AC and Pompeii you should spend at least 2 nights there to give yourself enough time to cover these areas.

Donna

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,836 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Rome with Day Trips

With 4 nights in Rome, you have 3 full days. It would make no sense to me to do long tedious day trips on two of those days. It takes about 3 full days to do the highlights of Rome. If I were going to do a day trip I would pick something much closer like Ostia Antica or even Tivoli and the Villa Adriana ruins. This is a lot of rushing about with little payoff IMHO.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,730 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Rome with Day Trips

You wouldn't want to take two different day trips to Pompeii and the Amalfi coast. It will take you about two hours to get to Pompeii and you'd have to go right back through that area to get to the Amalfi Coast. Plus, the Amalfi Coast is really too far for a day trip from Rome.

If you want to see these places, you should spend at least two nights in Sorrento. You can stop in Pompeii on your way there, leaving your luggage at the baggage check while you tour the site. Then you could take a tour, but bus or boat, of the Amalfi Coast the next day, and the following morning return to Rome. You might be able to get away with one night if your hotel would hold your luggage while you tour the Amalfi Coast. Then you'd have to go back to collect the luggage before heading to Rome. You'd get back very late. All in all, it would be best to stay a second night and leave early in the morning.

I agree with dropping Ireland. It's an entire country and you can't see it in a few days, one of which would be used up getting there.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
219 posts
125 reviews
6. Re: Rome with Day Trips

You are all so helpful! I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions/ideas! I'm sure I'll have more questions and really appreciate your assistance.

7. Re: Rome with Day Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 05, 2017