We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Rome
Search

Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
127 reviews
44 helpful votes
Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

I'm wondering if anyone has walked from the San Pietro train station to St. Peter's square? How long (in minutes) would the walk be, on average?

We are renting an apartment steps away from the Trastevere train station, so thought this was our best route to get to St. Peter's.

thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
105,945 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

maps.google.com will give you walking directions and approximate time.

It's about half a mile from the station to St Peter's Basilica, and another half mile to the Museums.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
46,040 posts
19 reviews
120 helpful votes
2. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

We stayed in a hotel just past the train station. The walk is about 15-20 minutes to the square. It's another 20 minutes or so to the entrance of the museums.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,746 posts
29 reviews
47 helpful votes
3. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

The number 64 bus begins its run just outside the train station, and will stop right across from St. Peter's Square. There will usually be one waiting there when you get off the train; most of the day, they run every ten to fifteen minutes. You can't miss the stop, unless it's early in the morning. The bus will be practically empty when you get on, but at St. Peter's Square, there will be a crowd waiting to board.

If you buy a single-fare ticket(€1.50), you can use it for both the train and the bus.

The walk is mostly downhill towards the Vatican, but uphill on the way back.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
20 reviews
33 helpful votes
4. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

Bvlenci missed the bit about how you'll be traveling from the Trastevere train station, not Termini.

From the Trastevere train station, you'll want either the FL3 or FL5 towards Cesano. The San Pietro stop is the second stop. It's about a 10 minute walk from there to the Piazza.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,746 posts
29 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

No, I knew it was from Trastevere. When you get off the train at San Pietro station, the 64 bus begins its route there, heading to Termini. It has very few passengers between San Pietro and St. Peter's Square. I stayed in that area several times when my daughter was at the American Academy.

I think the walk is more than ten minutes, and even more on the way back. Since the same ticket is good for both train and bus, I don't see any reason to walk. The route isn't charming.

Edited: 3:21 pm, January 06, 2016
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
20 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

My apologies, bvlenci. I misread your response. My 10 minute walk estimate was based on Google Maps, but Streetview does indeed look as if it would take longer.

Edited: 3:37 pm, January 06, 2016
Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,746 posts
29 reviews
47 helpful votes
7. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican
Save

I did the walk, actually from further away than the station, in the summer, and we weren't walking very fast.

8. Re: Distance from San Pietro train station to Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2017