We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

We fly in on a Saturday evening. We will have a full day Sunday and a full day Monday for sightseeing. We are staying at the Artemide Hotel. Would like to go to Vatican City and also see the Colosseum and Forum along with smaller interests like the Spanish steps and Trevi fountain. I need help breaking this into the 2 days. Assuming Vatican City will have to wait until Monday and the others can be done on Saturday? Understand that we will need transportation to get to Vatican City and we will be walking everywhere else. Itinerary help please!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,610 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

It can be done and you can walk to Vatican City. Pre-book and keep in mind that many museums are closed on Mondays.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

Perfect. Thank you. I was afraid to post my question. Most people seem appalled when someone asks about just a short stay in Rome! LOL

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,706 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

Pre-book Vatican Museum. You then head right to the entrance (ignore the line). Allow about 1/2 day. I would not walk to the Vatican from your hotel. It's a long walk. Take the subway or the bus.

For Colosseum, pre-book tickets online. For 2 Euros extra per person, you can go anytime you want and skip the usually long ticketing line with the pre-booked tickets. Unlike the Vatican, pre-booked tix to the Colosseum is not time-sensitive.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

Thank you! Also, just found a site called Visitacity.com and you can choose how many days you will be there and what interests you have and it will schedule your days for you even including your hotel and time frames. Really cool website. Did it for Rome and Venice just now.

Portsmouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Portsmouth
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
2,206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

Given you only have two days, it makes sense to maximise your time and pre book as suggested. Also, to preserve your energy make good use of the metro system it is clear and efficient and ticket purchase from machines is simple using English translation option.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,809 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

I just looked at that site and those time amounts are so far off it's laughable. No one is going to spend an hour at the trevi fountain or 45 minutes in the piazza venezia at 11am. I certainly hope you're not basing your list of sites off of their list and are doing the research to see what sites in Rome are of interest to you. Their list is a basic list that leaves out so many wonderful sites which are more interesting than most of the sites they list. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the spanish steps, the Vatican gardens or the castel sant angelo on your first trip, unless these are sites that really hold your interest.

I would pre-book entry tickets to the vatican museums and plan 2-3 hours visiting it and the chapel. After that I would visit the basilica. While you're waiting in the security line you can see the square. Plan about an hour to an hour and a half in the basilica. After that I would grab some lunch and wander the city, heading towards the pantheon. The other day you can spend in the colosseum area visiting it and the forum and palatine hill. This will take all morning. You can book entry tickets online that allow you to bypass the lines. You can also see Trajans forums and perhaps the Palazzo Valentini.

Grab a guide book and start reading up on the sites that interest you. Two days is not a lot of time so you don't want to waste any of it.

Donna

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

The Artemide hotel is just down the street (3 minute walk) from Piazza della Repubblica which has a stop on Line A (of the Rome Metro);

https:/…_Rome

Line A is the Metro (Subway) branch you’d take to the Vatican (stop Ottaviano), as described in this google map:

https://goo.gl/maps/y7j7twxU5Am

Line A info on Wikpedia:

https:/…29

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

I would just like to warn you that the Vatican and the Colosseum are the two most crowded places in Rome. Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, and Piazza Navona aren't far behind. If your visit will be in late autumn or the dead of winter (which doesn't include the Christmas holiday period) then the crowds may be manageable. If you're planning to visit in high season or shoulder season, I think it would be a shame to spend all your time in Rome shuffling along in a crowd.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

Yes, I assumed the times were not true. We were planning on walking everywhere and not taking transit, but will re-evaluate. We were in Buenos Aires earlier this year and did, in fact, walk everywhere. I mean EVERYWHERE. For hours. From one end of the city to the other. Great exercise and we really got to see the city that way.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
667 posts
1,249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 full days in Rome - can we do this?

We walked everywhere too, during all of our three trips..and with the years in between the trips we were getting older. We did have more time than you do, but if you plan carefully, it can be done. The Trevi fountain, has hundreds of people milling around, so you look around, take a picture and leave. A small gelato store there is worth visiting IMO:) Spanish steps - same thing, people sit around in hot weather taking a break. We did not feel the need to do that. We lingered around Piazza Navona a bit and crossed the bridge on the way to Vatican. Set your priorities, the must do's and I am sure you will manage...when you start running out of time - use the recommended Metro ..One time we managed to get free tickets for the audience with the Pope ( the Vatican Guard was giving them out that morning )... What a totally unplanned experience - memorable, I am keeping the tickets:)

Have a great time...