We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Belts

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brea Ca
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Money Belts

I am travelling to Italy, my first time out of the states. It has been recommended that I us a money belt for passports, credit cards etc. There are more than one type. A hang around the neck or fasten around the waist. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better or more comfortable or practical?

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Belts

I use a waist one. Less practical, but much more difficult to snatch

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,090 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Belts

I know lots of women who like the one around the neck. I prefer the one worn like a belt and fits down inside my pants. They're made with an absorbent outside, waterproof interior. They work great and they're cheap.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Belts

What ever you do - just make sure you use one of them. I was in Rome with my parents about 7 years ago. We were walking around and a lady and her two CHILDREN came up and starting talking to us in Italian. We realized they were trying to get into my dad pockets and while we weren't noticing - they opened my mom's purse and took all our passports!! Luckily my dad ran after them and they turned around and handed them right back. They probably just didn't want to get the police involved. After that we were always on our guard! Have fun in Rome - it is AMAZING and beautiful - just take all the procautions you can!

Enjoy your trip!

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Belts

You should never carry your passports on the street if you don't have to. Lock them up in a safe. Also, one should always make several copies, one with you, one with someone stateside. Credit cards also. I wear a fanny pact in front through the belt loops on my pants.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Belts

Is it really better to leave your passports in a hotel safe? I like the idea if it's really "safe."

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Belts

I guess I mean the hotel saftey deposit boxes.Carry the copy of your passport with you.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Belts

I always wear a money belt with my passport - they also make a pouch that attaches to a belt and slips along side a pocket - that is convenient too. Don't carry anything in any pockets that you don't want to lose - money, passports, credit cards. Most of these people are after money or things they can sell for money. I carry all important documents with me and put copies of them into the hotel safe.

I also don't carry a handbag or backpack - I carry a Kipling bag with thicker canvas straps that goes over the shoulder and sits down on my waist. It has a zippered top section where I put my maps, sunglasses, eyeglasses, pens and misc. stuff. The top flips over an undersection (also zippered and I can actually lock it!) where I carry my wallet with money for the day, and my credit card in another zippered section. You just don't want to look like an easy mark - that way the thieves move on to someone who does.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Belts

I assume the locals don't wear money belts. How do they manage?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Belts

The locals probably aren't targeted - and just like at home here - you don't carry alot of cash or passports, etc when you are at home. They are looking for tourists with easy bags to get into, carrying money and credit cards around. Make sure when you use an ATM that you are careful too. On our tour, the guide told us that the tour guides are often targeted too because they may be carrying cash, tickets, etc. Just like any big city, thieves look for tourists and visitors. The good thing in Europe is that they don't shoot you first!

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Belts

If a local were to have his/her wallet stolen it isn't nearly the hassle that it is for a tourist. For example, if your wallet were to be stolen in your hometown you would cancel your cards, have new one issued within a couple days and go with your day. But if your wallet is stolen in another country it creates a big hassle. You have to file a police report and if your passport was taken you have to go your embassy. This takes time away from sightseeing. Plus, you may be without money - a real problem when you are away from home.

I urge everyone to use caution to protect your belongings, but keep in mind the majority of the travelers have a trip without incident.