We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan, USA
3 posts
Save Topic
Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

I'm hoping that someone from this amazing forum can help me. I am going to Rome in November, and I would like to get a Papal Blessing Certificate for my parents 50th Wedding Anniversay (just celebrated this milestone a couple of months ago).

I have read conflicting information about this process. Some places have indicated that I need a letter from their parish pastor, other information that I have seen is that I just go to a specific store just off of St. Peter's square (just past the colonnade), and I can order one directly from them (will get mailed to me many weeks later).

Any guidance will be appreciated!!!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

A letter from the parish priest certainly helps, but the stores surrounding Piazza San Pietro that offer this service need at least the name of the Parish where the wedding took place as well as the date and the name of the Parish your parents now frequent. That should satisfy their requirements, but these days, you never know.

usa
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

I was able to obtain a Papal blessing for a 50th wedding anniversary earlier this year, so I hope this helps:

for a general overview, go to www.santasusanna.org; this is the American Catholic church in Rome, and they have a good overview of how to obtain a blessing, giving you several different options. Go to the "Pope and the Vatican" section, then to "Papal Blessings".

I contacted the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth(holyfamily@nazareth.cc); they supplied a beautiful parchment commemorating the blessing, and it was received very quickly.

There are also other choices listed; I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them.

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

Most of the religious articles shops around the Vatican can obtain a papal blessing for you. The parchments further from the Vatican are usually better though.

The Sisters of Nazareth do a very nice job with the parchments.

For more information you can contact the Office of Papal Charities

Phone: 39.06.6988.3135

Fax: 39.06.6988.3132

Or contact the diocesan offices of your particular diocese. Most dioceses will obtain the blessings for you.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

I also did this last year for my ex inlaws. There is a Papal Blessing office in Vatican city that you can go to and do all the paperwork. They then mailed it to me within about a month. The office is (if you are in the square facing the Vatican with St. Peters to your left) on the street to the right, there is a guard station and they will then direct you.

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

I just found this great map of Vatican City and the Papal blessing office is right near the Papal Printing Office and Post Office.

http://www.europe-atlas.com/vatican-map.htm

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

To reach the Papal Blessing Office, officially known as the Office of Papal Charities, approach the guard at the Santa Anna Gate, which is right at the end of Borgo Pio. Tell the guard what you want and he will tell let you in. If you wander, you will be put back on track rather quickly.

I posted the phone and fax numbers in my last post.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

I can add more infos to the very accurate DominiSumus: the office is open every day (but not on sundays) until noon. the vatican gate to use is called st ann on via di porta angelica. the swiss guard will lead you! in italian the office is called elemosineria apostolica. you can also choose the diploma you like more, then the nuns will let fill a form and within a while you will have your blessing. if you want to make a present, i.e. sending the blessing for a couple on the wedding day you can leave the address of the church and the date, you can also do it. Ciao!

8. Re: Papal Blessing Certificate for 50th Wedding Anniversary??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 pm, August 19, 2009