We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book the colosseum underground tour

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,756 posts
18 reviews
How to book the colosseum underground tour

There has been a lot of confusion about how to book the underground tour. Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion and answer most of the questions that are repeatedly asked. Please read the entire post as it addresses a lot of different situations.

**How do I book the underground tour at the colosseum?**

As of January 1rst 2015 you are now able to book the underground colosseum tour online. You simply visit the website:

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

and select the tour language you want. You choose the number of tickets you need and select your dates. The dates will only be listed in 2 month blocks, for example January and February, them March and April and so on. You won't be able to book beyond what is currently available. New dates should open up 2 weeks before the current window closes.

You must also purchase entry tickets as they are not included in the cost of the tour. Entry tickets and tour costs for an adult will be 25 euros each. The entry tickets will also get you into the forum and palatine hill. Those under 18 will get inside the structure for free. On the first Sunday of the month everyone is free but there are no tours conducted.

Entry tickets are NOT date or time specific. They are good for the entire year so when you are ordering them you won't be given the option for choosing a date. This is normal. On the other hand, tours ARE date and time specific so you'll need to choose the time and date for those.

If you need to call for assistance the number is.

+ 39 06 399 67 700

When booking the tickets online you must fill in your personal information for the reservation. It will ask your nationality. For those from the U.S. you will use- Stati Uniti and for the U.K. you will use- Gran Bretagna.

***How do I book entry tickets to the colosseum?**

You can call to book entry tickets or you can visit the official website:

www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

click on acquista to go to the purchase page.

***How much does the tour of the underground cost?**

The tour itself is an additional 9 euros. If booked with entry tickets the total cost will be 25.00 which includes the booking fee. You must add these items to your "cart" separately. The site is not set up to include the cost of entry with the cost of the tour.

***How much does the tour cost for my kids?**

Children under 12 will take the tour for free. Those 12-17 will pay the same amount for the tour as adults do. The difference is that anyone under the age of 18 gets **into the colosseum for free**. You don't need to purchase an entry ticket for them online. They can go in with you but you must stop at the special events desk to get their free ticket. You must show proof of age in order to get the free ticket. There is usually never a line at the special events desk. You can book the childrens tour tickets online at the same time you book the adult tickets. You will choose the 2 euros tour option for those under 12 and the regular priced tour tickets for those 12 and older. You will need to show proof of age when picking up these tickets so be sure to order the correct ones as they give no refunds for incorrectly purchased tickets.

***Can I purchase free or reduced priced tickets online?***

Yes, you can purchase both online and pay the reservation fee. You cannot print either of these options at home. Only the full priced tickets can be printed at home. You must pick up free or reduced priced tickets at the venue. You will need to show proof that you qualify for the discount given before you receive the actual tickets. If you don't qualify for the reductions you will need to purchase full priced tickets and not get a refund for the tickets purchased in error. Bring your passport with you (non EU members are legally required to carry your passports) as proof of age.

***How do I book the tour if I'm using the romapass for free entry?**

You need to call to make a reservation for the underground tour when using the romapass. Just let the operator know that you already have entry tickets and would just like to add on the tour. They will only charge you for the tour. The romapass does not include any tours, it's an entry pass. If using the romapass for entry you also get to visit the forum and palatine hill and have it count as the same entry since they are a combo site. Those under 18 don't need a romapass. See paragraph above for more information.

***Does the romapass or entry tickets that I buy online allow me to bypass the lines?**

Yes, both allow you to bypass the ticket lines that can be very long. Just approach the lines and the attendant will show you which aisle to use. You must still check in for the tour so be sure to show the attendant your tour voucher.

***If I buy tickets and a tour online can I visit the forum and palatine hill first?**

If you want to visit the other 2 sites first you should purchase the print at home entry tickets online. This will give you tickets in hand and allow you to visit the forum and palatine hill either the day before your tour or earlier the same day as your tour. If you have anyone under 18 traveling with you you will not be able to print tickets at home because all free tickets must be picked up at the desk and I.D. is required for proof of age. You can buy and print just the adult tickets at home and pick up the free tickets onsite. You won't need to wait in the regular line for those. Just go to the special events window for the free tickets.

*** My tickets are good for 2 days. Can I come and go as I please and do the days have to be consecutive?**

You cannot come and go as you please, you get one entry per sites. The forum and palatine hill are connected with an internal walkway and count as a single site. The days do need to be consecutive. It doesn't matter which order you see the sites.

***What does the underground tour include?***

The underground tour includes a visit to the arena floor, a visit to the underground section and a visit to the third tier. It does not include a tour of the forum or palatine hill though your entry tickets gets you into those sites. There is also an option for a reduce cost ticket if you don't want to visit the third tier. Some people with mobility issues may want to opt out of the third tier because the steps leading up to it are very narrow and steep. There is no way to purchase this option online. You will need to call to get these reduced tickets.

***How long does the tour last?***

The tour is approximately 70-90 minutes depending on the guide. Most keep it at 90 minutes.

***Should I take a tour of the regular areas of the colosseum along with the underground tour?***

There really is no need to take both tours. The information in both tours is about the structure and what it was used for. If you take both tours you'll just hear the same information twice. The only difference is where the tours go.

***Is the tour appropriate for everyone?***

If you have mobility problems the tour is not for you. There are very steep steps getting up and down the third tier. These steps are also very narrow. At this time the tour is not available for anyone in a wheelchair.

***Are there restrictions for children?**

No, anyone can book and go on the tour. If the children are very young they may become bored but there are no restrictions.

***Is the underground portion of the tour claustrophobic?***

No, it's a very large area. There is a ceiling over part of it but for the most part it's open to the rest of the colosseum.

***Can I stay inside the colosseum after the tour is over?***

Yes, you can stay inside the colosseum for as long as you wish after the tour. There are no time restrictions other than closing time.

***If I take the tour but want to visit the main areas on another day can I do that?***

Yes, but your ticket is only good for a single entry to the site so you would need to purchase another entry ticket. Once you leave the site your ticket becomes invalid.

***If I book the tour do I need to purchase anything else?***

It depends. If you book just the tour for 11 euros you will need either an entry ticket or a romapass to get you inside the structure. The online tour booking isn't set up to include the cost of entry.

***The official website is only showing the tour available through XXX date. Does that mean the tour will not be run after that date?***

The colosseum will release dates for every two months. Right now the dates available are from January 1, 2015 through February 28,2015. The next set of dates should be released mid February and will be for the next two months (March and April). After that it will be May/June, July/August, September/October, November/December. The tickets for the next set of dates should become available during the 7th week of these 8-9 week spans.

VERY IMPORTANT ENTRY INFORMATION

Because of the heightened security threats through Europe the colosseum (and other sites) have decided to limit what can be taken inside. As of this posting they are not allowing backpacks, luggage or any other large bags inside the colosseum. There are ***NO storage facilities**** at the colosseum so you should leave larger bags in your hotel or store them at the termini station. The colosseum officials have not released any information on sizes they will allow inside but they are letting small purses inside. They are also suggesting that you show up at least a half an hour before your scheduled tour in order to go through the security screening checkpoint. Your bags will be searched so this can slow things down.

Again, you should leave all bags in your hotel or store them at the termini station because there are NO storage facilities at the colosseum and they are not letting any large bags or backpacks inside. The termini is about a 15 minute walk from the colosseum so give yourself plenty of time before your tour if you need to store your bags.

This new rule just started in January in response to heightened terror threats throughout Europe. This is being put in place for the security of everyone. Right now they don't have any storage facilities because they have never needed them. I don't know if they will add these facilities or not but for now, it's better to leave your things in your hotel or store them at the termini station until after your visit to the colosseum. The forum also has these restrictions in place.

Donna

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,756 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

I contacted TA to have this replace the current "sticky". Everyone should post on this thread instead of the old one. Thank you,

Donna

Level Contributor
91 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

Excellent info, thank you. Very glad you answered the claustrophobic question, has put my mind at rest although I shall be giving the third teir a miss by the sound of it!!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

Excellent Post Donna Thanks for the Info, we are waiting for March to open up so that we can book the Underground Tour. Cannot wait!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

Thank you so much for your knowledge. I am taking a tour of the Colosseum and Forum from a third party. They are suggesting that I purchase full price admission tickets for my kids to the Colosseum so we do not have to wait in line the day of our tour. In your post, it sounds like the tickets are picked up at a separate window with a shorter line. We are planning on going to the Forum first. Do we need to stop at the Colosseum to pick up our admission tickets and underground tickets first? Also, just wondering if I will be safe getting the free entrance tickets for my kids. Thanks.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,756 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

I'm confused. If you've booked with a separate company why aren't they doing this for you? If you still need to go through the trouble of picking up tickets and tour tickets why are you using a third party company and what are you paying them for?

I would try to cancel with them and just book the official tour. You can save money that way. If you're in town on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday you can book an official tour of the forum for 5 euros. Just plan your two tours for different back to back days or the same day.

To answer your question, you can print the adult tickets at home as long as you don't purchase the free tickets online. You can pick up the free tickets at the forum box office. No need to go to the colosseum first. I don't know what you mean by being safe getting the free admission for your kids. If they are under 18 they get in for free. Just bring your passports for proof of age.

Donna

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

Thanks, that assures me that they will get in easily with the free tickets(no long wait). I appreciate your help.

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
30 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

Great information, Donna, thanks. But is this tour interesting and worth the money? Is it much better than just visiting regular areas?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,756 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

I can't tell you if you'll find the tour interesting or not. I liked it and found it interesting but you may not, it's a personal thing. If you are interested in history and want to know more about the structure and see it up close then this tour will be a good thing. If you only have a mild interest then you may want to give it a pass.

Donna

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
30 posts
115 reviews
9. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

Sounds interesting :)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
171 posts
172 reviews
10. Re: How to book the colosseum underground tour

You've been very helpful with your Rome tips. Thank you DB

I was just reading over the Underground Tour information provided in the link shown above. We are buying the Roma Pass, and it looks like it is possible to buy only the Underground part on the website, and then get into the Colosseum using my Rona Pass. ie, it is not necessary to book the Underground by telephone as was previously required when using a Romapass. Is that also your understanding?