We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

San Francisco, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

Hello,

I am looking for hotels in Rome as well. Planning to go over christmas. I am checking expedia and found that it is pretty hard to decide. In anyways, reading through posts, areas below Villa Bouguese/Spanish Steps (~) are pretty good. I may go for Best Western Mondial, however expedia is offering a good deal on Best Western Picadally in San Giovani. From what I have read, Picadally is a good hotel but area is not great.

Any ideas?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
365 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

hi there

San Giovanni is nowhere near the Spanish Steps and in addition it is not a very nice area. San Giovanni was built after the war to solve Rome's over population problem and as a consequence you have as many as 3-4 hundred families living in shared apartment blocks... the population density is so high it is hard to breathe!

The Spanish Steps is in the Baroque part of Rome and is much, much nicer than San Giovanni. I suggest you book the Hotel Pincio (family run with lovely rooftop terrace) or the Hotel King both of which are in the Spanish Steps area - both hotels are nice 3 stars or if you have a bit more cash try the Hotel Stendhal which is a very unique 4 star hotel on Piazza Barberini only minutes walk from the Spanish Steps

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

how wonderful at last someone mentioned Hotel Pincio. We will be staying there next week and could not find any reviews, then the name jumped out at me while browsing this forum, with a big plus that it is a good place to stay. We booked it because of its great website (there is loads of detail), and hopefully its a winner, your mention has reassured us, thanks, any tips on the rooms (are there any with a view)? Any tips on Rome sightseeing? Thanks for any info.

Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

You should beware as there are some very grotty overpriced hotels in Rome.

We booked a hotel for ���100a night and it was dreadful. We walked out after about 10 minutes.

We found a hotel right near the spanish steps that was ���240 a night but very nice. Hotel de Spagna

Take time to browse and don't go on the price as we did

Fort Worth
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

What about the Hotel Polo by the Villa Borghese? The prices are good and I'm somewhat familiar with the area. I've only stayed at the Valdier before which is near the Piazza del Popolo. Any ideas?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Location: San Giovani/Spanish steps

Hi Juliebigal, Can you share your experience staying in Hotel Pincio? My husband & I are going to Rome next week, and are interested to know your feedback. Thanks!

Mrdccd