We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

i have read so many posts about visiting the above but am no further forward!

please rome experts or previous visitors help!!

i am planing to go to Vatican City on a Monday. It's the only day as i arrive too late on saturday and leave rome tuesday afternnon.

So, should i go to Sistine Chapel/ Vatican Museums or st peter's in the morning? i've read the lines for the vatican are shorter in the afternoon but is this still the case on a Monday?

and how long will i have to spend if i go in the afternoon?

If it is recommended to go to st peter's in the morning - what time?

Is it worth getting a tour guide or manageable alone?

Thanks for your help ;-)

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

This question is asked here often and there are varying opinions.

Monday is supposed to be the most crowded day since it is closed all but the last Sundays of the month.

The lines in the morning are very long. some people recommend getting there 1-11/2 hours before they open and waiting. Personally I don't understand this because you are still waiting. You'll juts be closer to the front. Everyone that goes in the afternoon reports little to no wait. The most i've read was 10 minutes.

Saint Peters is very special in the Morning when no one is there. If you can manage to get there early one of the mornings it would be worth it to be there without the crowds. Also climbing the dome(which i'd only suggest doing early in the morning) is quite special when no one else is around.

If you don't get to St. Peters in the morning you can exit The Sistine Chaple through the door on the right and that will take you directly to St. peters without having to go through the security lines again. I've heard that St. Peters is not corwded later in the afternoon, so it may not be a bad idea to do it after the Vatican. The exit from The Sistine Chaple was a suggestion from my Vatican Tour guide when i was there last.

You can spend as long as you'd like in The Vatican. You can do It alone or with the Audioguide. I did a Vatican sponsered tour last time because I wanted to know more that I'd gotten my first trip when I did it on my own.

Have a great trip.

Ireland
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

thanks sasharoon,

sounds like st peter's is good early in the morning or in the afternoon...hopefully i'll manage to pull myself away from the rest of rome early enough to get there early and do the vatican afterwards. really looking forward to it!

can you recommend anywhere for lunch?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

One clarification from the solid advice you've already been given: when they say take the exit on the right in the Sistine Chapel, they mean with your back to the main altar. Otherwise, if you exit right as you face the altar, you will continue through the museums.

For lunch near the Vatican, try Papalino on Borgo Pio. It's about half way down, on the north side of the street. Great pastas, peaceful interior space and lots of dishes well prepared.

Roxbury NJ
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

We waited over an hour in the 12:30 timeframe to get in seemed long lines all day..did Scavi tour in am and saw very long lines

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,203 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

The restaurant at 88 via dei Gracchi is full of locals (always a recommendation) and is only 5 minutes walk away.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

So many people have mentioned about the Scavi tour. What exactly is that? Do you guys mind elaborating?

And, to "sasharoon", for a 1st timer to Vatican Museums/ Sistine Chapel who do not foresee to be back for a 2nd visit, is the Vatican guided tour recommended vs the audioguide?

How long a time would you suggest to spend in Vatican Museums/ Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's if I have 1 full day for disposal? And, how do I achieve that since there are so many rooms and highlights in there?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

The Scavi tour takes you into the escavations under the Basilica. You are able to see where St. Peter is buried, as well as numerous others, since the land used to be a cemetary.

It is a fascinating tour.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
583 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

I wish to confirm the visiting hour of St. Peter's and the dome. 8am -5pm daily?

Is it worth visiting the Scavi tour? How can I obtain more info about the Scavi tour?

Will I be able to visit St. Peter's, the dome, Scavi tour and Vatican Museums/ Sistine Chapel in a day on Monday (where the crowd may be overwhelming) in mid Oct? OR do you recommend I split it into 2 x half days, where I visit other sites in the afternoon?

New York
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

Dtanel,

The first time that I went to The Vatican I followed the advice of one of my clients. She suggested heading straight through the Vatican Museums and going directly to The Sistine Chapel. The point being to get to the chapel before the crowds to better appreciate it.

I personally didn't like this advice. I then back tracked through the museums and felt as though I missed so much.

Hence, part of my need to go back. Although I can't imagine anyone going to The Vatican once and thinking"OK I've seen it".

I've never done the audioguide at The Vatican so I can't comment on that. I did really enjoy the Vatican tour last time.

You have to appy for it through The Vatican from 30 days to 1 week prior to your visit. you have to fax them. You can get the information on The Vatican website. Remember to include all of your contact information in Rome since I heard from them there, not before I left.

You can try applying for The Scavi tour now. It is fascinating, but not an easy ticket to get and most apply months in advance. But, nothing ventured....It's worth trying. Again you can get the information for applying for the Scavi Tour on The Vatican Website.

The one thing that I always recommend is to climb the dome of St. Peters first thing in the morning. I did this on my first trip to Rome and it was magical. There are no lines early in the morning and you pretty much get the top of the dome to yourself.

Have a great trip.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
850 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time is best to visit vatican and st peter's?

I'm returning to Rome in a couple of weekends - just for a weekend (Friday-Monday). I have to be at the airport early so was wondering what the best time to climb the St. Peter's dome. I'm going on an Angels Tour of the Vatican Museums at 1pm on the Friday. Would it be better to try to climb the dome after the Museums tour or get up very early Saturday and try then? IF early Saturday is less crowded than Friday Afternoon, what time Saturday?

Thanks for any response.