We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimising Walking in Rome

England
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Minimising Walking in Rome

Hello, I know this is a bit of a stupid question to ask, but basically my friend has injured her ankle, so she can walk but not very far and not for very long. We plan to see most of the tourist hot-spots but won't go inside museums etc. if its too much walking. So, does anyone have any tips for minimising walking?

Im not a fan of HOHO buses so I think we will buy an unlimited metro ticket and travel as much as we can by metro, bus, tram. I notice that the buses go to most places but have heard that traffic is terrible, so would be using tram and metro as much as possible be better? Also are stops announced on buses or is it a case of just guessing where to get off?

Does anyone have any routes which are especially easy by public transport? (e.g. Termini to near the Vatican can be done by 1 metro ride).

We will be staying in a hotel between Termini and Castro Pretorio.

I realise that most attractions in Rome involve a lot of walking, so is it best to stick to the pantheon, churches and chilling out in squares, just soaking up the atmosphere? Can anyone recommend any attractions which are not too much walking once inside?

Thank you!

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

First, I would avoid the Vatican Museums in this situation. Visit the basilica, but save the museums for a day when you are both healthy OR use a wheelchair for your friend. You can get them from the museum.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
14,313 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

Also, your friend may want to look into purchasing one of the canes that is also a seat. She can use it to lean on while walking, but use the seat when she's tired and needs a quick rest.

Something like this: amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Cane-Adjustable-Hei…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

We like the little electric buses that hold fewer people and can go into the smaller streets of the historic center. Confirm if you can get off where you like and get back on if it's still within the valid time of your ticket. Query TA above or Google for "Rome electric bus #116".

Edited: 1:18 pm, February 21, 2014
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

Whether you like it or not, you'll end up using buses and the Metro. Tram lines, with the exception of # 8, don't penetrate in the the historical centre.

Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

Very useful tips, my mom will be with us when we visit Rome and Venice this June, she doesn't have any mobility issues but can't walk long distances. Am getting a wheelchair for the Vatican museums, how about the Colosseum and Forum/Palatine Hill? We're staying just off Piazza Navona, do the electric buses do that route? The cane/seat looks ideal, will definitely pick it up, thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

Try this link http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9 but be sure to check for any recent updates.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

Plan for lots of breaks because those Roman cobblestones can wear you out.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

You can also splurge on a car and driver for a day (or maybe a half day) and work in all the sites you can't see on your own. I did that once when in Rome with my mother. We were reaching the end of our trip and I realized we weren't going to e able to cover everything I hoped to on public trans. So I asked our hotel to arrange a car and driver. It worked perfectly. I just made a list of places we wanted to see and he figured out how to get to them -- this included some difficult to reach spots in the historical center.

rome
Level Contributor
2,202 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

From the area you are staying taking the 492 bus is your best option to go to vatican. For residents it is a painstakenly woven and unlogical route, but for you it will be a 45min ride through much of rome with great sights and minimum walking (less than the metro in your case).

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
93 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Minimising Walking in Rome

We found ourselves in a similar situation a few years ago. After visiting all of our options, we made a decision to use taxi's. The taxi's dropped us off at every entrance, which enabled us to save walking and energy for the site or activity that we were pursuing. Sometimes we got quiet taxi drivers, sometimes singing and very happy taxi drivers and sometimes drivers that shared info on sites that we were passing. One of our taxi drivers even agreed to come back and pick us up after a 2 hour tour that we were doing. He asked for no advance so if he didn't show we were not out anything. He did show and our feet were grateful. On the whole, this worked out well for us. We have used private drivers (more expensive) before as well. They also were wonderful. Good Luck and Enjoy!