We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating take away food

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eating take away food

Is this something we need to be wary of? Posted on Paris forum.

Can't say I have seen this on this forum.....but thought it best I check

"Currently in Rome, there is a crackdown on eating and drinking on the street, in public squares and near monuments - in "areas of particular historic, artistic, architectonic and cultural value" - fines range up to 500EU for multiple infractions."

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating take away food

Well, there is a sign posted at the Spanish Steps that indicates you are not supposed to eat there... but hundreds, if not thousands, do it every day. I've seen nobody arrested for it.

But I suspect you'll be fine as long as you are respecting the country's treasures. If there is no sign posted, then you should be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating take away food

Well, they don't want people dribbling food and drink over ancient sites - which is done more than you might imagine; you won't believe some of the behavior of people at these amazing sites - throwing away trash on 2000 year olds sites, leaving uneaten food on steps - pretty crass behavior, so they tried to crack down it.

Being respectful should deter any problems with authorities. I never personally felt a need to eat a piece of pizza at one of these treasures but you'd be surprised how many do.

Not many people walk around eating - I don't see people here doing it much either except tourists around the sites.

Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating take away food

Was thinking more of a gelato, or a sandwich we made to have as a picnic..... Are there dedicated spots you can eat a picnic? Or is that not the done thing in Rome?

Must admit, some tourists who visit our country make a blasted mess with their waste.......and some of human origin.....which is super gross. It really is disgusting, when you visit a popular sight and are faced with empty food packets, toilet paper etc.... Only last month we walked a beautiful walking track which is frequented by overseas tourists, and the toilet waste on the track and beside it was just plain filthy.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating take away food

Of course, there are many places in Rome you can sit and enjoy your picnic. Just clean up after yourself as you would at home. Every piazza has a place to sit, but my favorite place to eat is at the Torre Argentina. You can even watch the cats as they sun themselves. Great place to sit and eat. :)

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating take away food

The mayor of Rome made some political hay with this a year or two ago (can't remember exactly how long) and it was truly an issue at that time, but he seems to have moved on to other things.

That said, as far as I know the ordinance is still on the books so I wouldn't park myself near any of the historic or cultural sites and expect to have a picnic undisturbed.** There are plenty of parks if that's what you want to do.

Even while the ordinance was being enforced, if you were moving while eating it was usually okay.

** Edited to add: now that I think about it, I seem to recall that the ordinance was enacted for a limited period of time, maybe like a trial period, and may no longer be in effect. Some research would be required to be sure.

Edited: 1:50 am, February 21, 2014
Italy
Level Contributor
6,041 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating take away food

Kiwifarmer: I think that you've the right attitude! Walking with a gelato is always ok and as soon as you're polite as your posts seem to indicate you'll be ok.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating take away food

You can't eat take-away food while sitting in or near the major monuments, but you're free to eat it everywhere else.

Edited: 2:46 am, February 21, 2014
Gore, New Zealand
Level Contributor
323 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating take away food

Thanks guys.....always best to ask, rather than offend!

ohio
Level Contributor
396 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating take away food

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't there multiple food carts and gelato stores around most major monuments and piazzas. I would hope everyone would clean up after themselves.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating take away food

Of course there are multiple food carts everywhere, but there are lots of inconsiderate people of all nationalities, hence the attempt to fine people for eating near monuments.