We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colosseum Underground Tour

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Colosseum Underground Tour

There has been a lot of confusion about how to book the underground tour. Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion and answer most of the questions that are repeatedly asked. Please read the entire post as it addresses a lot of different situations.

**How do I book the underground tour at the colosseum?**

As of September 1 2013 you can no longer book the underground tour online at the official website. You must call to book the tour. No one knows why they stopped allowing online booking or if it will resume at some point. The phone number to call is:

011 39 06 399 67 700

***How do I book entry tickets to the colosseum?**

You can call to book entry tickets or you can visit the official website:

www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

click on acquista to go to the purchase page.

***How much does the tour of the underground cost?**

The tour itself is an additional 9 euros. If booked with entry tickets the total cost will be 22.50 which includes the booking fee.

***How much does the tour cost for my kids?**

Kids pay the same amount for the tour as adults do. The difference is that anyone under the age of 18 gets into the colosseum for free. They only pay the cost of the tour.

***How do I book the tour if I'm using the romapass for free entry?**

You still need to call when using the romapass. Just let the operator know that you already have entry tickets and would just like to add on the tour. They will only charge you for the tour. The romapass does not include any tours, it's an entry pass. If using the romapass for entry you also get to visit the forum and palatine hill and have it count as the same entry since they are a combo site.

***Does the romapass or entry tickets that I buy online allow me to bypass the lines?**

Yes, both allow you to bypass the lines that can be very long. Just approach the lines and the attendant will show you which line to use.

***If I buy tickets and a tour by phone can I visit the forum and palatine hill first?**

No, you must pick up your entry tickets at the colosseum so you wouldn't be able to visit the other two sites first. If you want to visit the other 2 sites first you should purchase the print at home tickets online and then call to book the tour separately. This will give you tickets in hand and allow you to visit the forum and palatine hill either the day before your tour or earlier the same day as your tour.

*** My tickets are good for 2 days. Can I come and go as I please and do the days have to be consecutive?**

No, you get one entry per sites. The forum and palatine hill are connected with an internal walkway and count as a single site. The days do need to be consecutive. It doesn't matter which order you see the sites.

***What does the underground tour include?***

The underground tour includes a visit to the arena floor, a visit to the underground section and a visit to the third tier. It does not include a tour of the forum or palatine hill though your entry tickets gets you into those sites.

***How long does the tour last?***

The tour is approximately 70-90 minutes depending on the guide. Most keep it at 90 minutes.

***Should I take a tour of the regular areas of the colosseum along with the underground tour?***

There really is no need to take both tours. The information in both tours is about the structure and what it was used for. If you take both tours you'll just hear the same information twice. The only difference is where the tours go.

***Is the tour appropriate for everyone?***

If you have mobility problems the tour is not for you. There are very steep steps getting up and down the third tier. These steps are also very narrow. At this time the tour is not available for anyone in a wheelchair.

***Are there restrictions for children?**

No, anyone can book and go on the tour. If the children are very young they may become bored but there are no restrictions.

***Is the underground portion of the tour claustrophobic?***

No, it's a very large area. There is a ceiling over part of it but for the most part it's open to the rest of the colosseum.

***Can I stay inside the colosseum after the tour is over?***

Yes, you can stay inside the colosseum for as long as you wish after the tour. There are no time restrictions other than closing time.

***If I take the tour but want to visit the main areas on another day can I do that?***

Yes, but your ticket is only good for a single entry to the site so you would need to purchase another entry ticket. Once you leave the site your ticket becomes invalid.

***If I book the tour do I need to purchase anything else?***

It depends. If you book just the tour for 9 euros you will need a romapass to get you inside the structure. If you book the tour for 22.50 that will include entry tickets. You cannot take the tour without have either entry tickets or a romapass for entry.

***The official website is only showing the tour available through XXX date. Does that mean the tour will not be run after that date?***

From time to time the colosseum holds the release of tour tickets. We think they do it when there has been really bad weather and they are concerned about the structure. This has happened a few times. They actually stopped the tour for an entire winter season a few years ago because it was so wet. They started the tours again as soon as the structure was safe enough to do so. The only thing you can do is keep checking the website to see when they change the release dates. As of this morning they had released the tour dates through April.

Donna

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
1,450 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

This is updated information on booking the underground tour. It's now a new Top Question.

Donna

Commerce, Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

I wish this information would have been posted yesterday. It would have saved me several hours of time searching on how to book the underground tour on line. If I understand things correctly, I cannot yet book an official tour for May, and once available for booking, by phone only. Interestingly, private tour companies are already offering tours, although with disclaimers warning that the underground tour portion might not be available. In the past, when have tickets been released for May?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

They usually release tickets for the entire year. Two years ago they shut down the underground because of flooding due to heavy rains. They had advertised the tours being available through the end of the year but ended up cancelling them. It seems to be the same this year. It has been very wet there for the past several weeks so they have shut down the underground. I think they may release dates slowly until the summer months when it should be much dryer. Just keep checking the website.

By the way, in the Top Questions there is another post with information on booking the underground tour. The last several pages of the post tell about the new booking process and the limited availability. This post was created as an update to some of the out dated information but a lot of the information in that post is still relevant.

Donna

Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

Thanks for the updated post Donna, bookmarking! Am looking for a spot in June, guess I'll have to call every now and then. Thanks again:)

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

You don't need to call to check if the tour has been released. They update the website so you can just check that.

Donna

Maryland
Level Contributor
520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

Ok, thanks Donna, just thought maybe they might be able to say when the June tours would be released.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
30,471 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

Is this one going to be the new sticky?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

No, it's in the Top Questions. People should refer questions to this thread and not use the older, out of date post.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

Excellent information, Donna! I'd just like to say that the phone number shown has the international dialing prefix used on the US. In the rest of the world, the prefix is usually "00" instead of "011". Or, if your phone has a "+" sign on the dial pad, you can use that instead of a numeric prefix. On Skype, and on some phones, you can get the "+" by holding down the "0" key for a few seconds.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
72 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colosseum Underground Tour

Info very clear. Written well. Thanks for this :) Hope you post as traveler's article or "things to do"

Reply to: Colosseum Underground Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted