We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Rome
Search

ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication

Rocky Point, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
5 helpful votes
ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

I purchased a cellphone sim card from Exactta Communications in Rome's Fiumicino Airport in September 2013. I paid 124 Euro ($168), and was told I could Text freely to the USA as well as call the USA & use it when I returned to the USA. It NEVER allowed Texting (which is the main reason I bought it, to communicate with the USA), and it did NOT WORK IN THE USA either. I only made 3 local Italian calls, and one to the USA to tell family we were alive and why we did not contact them with texting. (I tried about 10 times and realized no one was getting them because I never got a reply.) I called Exactta and they told me to remove the Sim Card for 10 minutes and replace it. It still did not work. I called again to tell them, 3 times, they told me I would be REFUNDED and gave me the contact info. I have written/called for 4 MONTHS and they REFUSE to REFUND ME. Although they have constantly promised they would. I believed them and opened a bank account for them to directly deposit the refund. They told me this is the only way they refund people. I was uncomfortable giving an account with any money in it, and therefore only opened this for my refund. They have told me they tried to refund me, but it didn't go through. I confirmed the Swift Code, Routing # and Account # - calling my bank and they said maybe it's a problem in Italy. I told them to check their end, and they never did. I do NOT BELIEVE they EVER HAD INTENTION of REFUNDING ME! I have called about 50 + times and e-mailed about 30 times and they do not answer the phone any more and do not reply to my e-mails either. I am totally disgusted and RECOMMEND YOU DO NOT PURCHASE SIM CARDS OR ANYTHING FROM EXACTTA. They DO NOT STAND BY THEIR PRODUCT. Beware!

258 replies to this topic
Quebec City, Canada
2 posts
31. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

I had so much problems with that card that i even not made one phone call. Back home, i read all those complains and i am so mad! Cash have been substract from my account without any success phone call! I still have all my bills, i want a refund. i searched for a stand everywhere in Italy, you only exist in the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
32. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

Please stay away from these people at airports, I fell victim too, and got stitched up more than 200$ including a steep 20$ for the SIM card, I purchased it at the Madrid Airport on the 10th June and requested a full refund on the 13th June and their customer service is like all other unhappy customers experience is just unbelievably unprofessional and behaving like total crooks, the cost of making and receiving calls is exorbitant and not at all cost effective, Now They are not answering my emails anymore and hiding like real crooks, I am personally naming Sergio Montova, Claudio Acevedo Gordillo, Patricio Miraglia and specially Sebastian Raimondo who has ignored all my emails to date, I need you guys to take responsality for your actions and just refund people when it is not even a week from the date of sales.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
33. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

Hi Alejandro,

Can you please refund my account asap? if you stand by your words and are not crooks as you seem to confirm here!

Thanks,

Farid

United States
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
34. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

Eileen W. -

Did you in fact receive your refund?? And was it through a separate bank account that you had to set up that they could wire the money?

Thanks,

Iteach4fun

Edited: 4:38 pm, June 27, 2014
Quebec City, Canada
2 posts
35. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

Finaly, i called my credit card compagny to ask them to stop that transaction even if it already passed in my account. i related them all the story and now, they ask me to fill some forms. Wath i will do. Maybe the credit card compagny will refund me according to an insurance, There wil be a warning about Exactta, i hope!

United States
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
36. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

NATHALIE L. -

I too have made a grievance report with my credit card company against EXACTTA GROUP. An investigation is now open. I hope we have success with this as they have been nothing but trouble. Good luck to you!

1 post
1 review
37. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

Exactta is a total load of crap. They pray on travelers that don't know better right when they get off the plane. My wife went to a kiosk in Rome and they sold her a approx $200 card. The phone cannot receive calls nor place them internationally. Texting does not work. I spent 3 hours on the phone with them today and they can't fix the issue.They don't tell you this, but to place a call you have to call the number, the system hangs up on you, and then you get a call back. This never worked for me, but I found that information buried on their website. I'm going to dispute all the charges and fight them thru my credit card company and buy a TIM card. I'm also going to make it my personal mission in life to bad mouth them so that others don't get duped the way we have. I'm a tech savvy individual and this is not because I don't know how to dial a phone internationally!

Bethesda, Maryland
1 post
38. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

We, too, were victimized by Exactta Communications at the Rome airport. We were told that our phones would not work in Italy. Not true. One of them worked. Employee sold us a cheap Nokia phone but did not tell us that it had a UK SIM card. Thus, all of our calls in Italy were at expensive international rates of $10.62 to $1.39 a minute and not a few Euro cents a minute. In addition, the SIM card had been used by other people. We made none of the 40 calls charged to the SIM card, which included calls made in France and Spain and calls to Israel and Egypt! The callback number given to us was also a UK number and of the 36 calls charged to that number, nine were not made by us, and indeed we frequently heard other people speaking on the line. They also shortchanged us on the promised airtime. We spent Euro 204.90 for the phone and airtime. Since the Exactta people operate with a booth inside the customs-controlled arrivals area of Fiumicino Airport, we were not able to go back in and protest. When we complained by phone and email, they initially intimated they would send us a refund, but said they could not issue a credit card credit and asked for our bank account number. (We opened a separate bank account because I did not trust them.) After that however, despite many phone calls and emails, they have refused to do anything. We have reported Exactta to the Italian Financial Police (Guardia di Finanza). Do not have anything to do with Exactta Communications

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
39. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

My wife also fell for the same scam. She paid 200 euro at Fumicino and it was all used up in two days. Customer service told her that she must have used it to access the internet and apparently data transfer charges are exorbitant. BTW, when cellular data is turned off, you can't make a phone call, so there you go. You can't win with them.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
36 helpful votes
40. Re: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Save

I had the same experience. Bought Exactta sim card at Fiumicino. Waited an hour for it to activate and followed the handwritten instructions given to me by salesperson to activate the phone, but it never worked. (Should've known better than to accept handwritten instructions.) When I returned to US, I called the 24 hour customer service number and couldn't get through. So I contacted my credit card company, who was able to get through somehow. Exactta gave me the same run around about giving them wire instructions to my US account; I completed the form and sent it back and Exactta (Patricio) confirmed receipt of it. Two weeks later when I inquired where my refund was, they (again, Patricio) said I never sent them the form. It was obvious they had no intention of refunding my money, so I contacting Capital One again. Capital One has credited my account and has opened a disputed claim with Exactta. STAY AWAY from Exactta. Your Credit Card company should be able to help you get your money back.

Reply to: ALERT DON'T Buy Cellphone Sim Card fr. Exactta Communication
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted