We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

Hello: my boyfriend and I will be traveling to Rome in late August / early September and are having difficulty in deciding where to look for a 'central' hotel. We plan on taking several day trips outside of the city, and would be treating the hotel as our home base - so safe and clean are a must. Some of the hotels we're considering are: Hotel Ripa, Starhotels Michelangelo and Palazzo Cardinal Cesi (in the Vatican and Trastevere areas). Good idea? Bad idea? Please help!

Thank you!

CYPRUS
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

The Vatican and Trastevere areas are nice to visit but they are not very close to the most important sites. Probably the best area to stay is the Termini Area (railroad station). Trains, buses and metro are all there. All major sites are within walking distance. A good hotel choise could be Hotel Miami (3 star) on Via Nazionale. It is very clean, very safe and not very expensive. It is only about 10 minutes easy stroll from Termini, Colosseo, Roman Forum etc. We stayed there for three nights and everything was fine. Other hotels of similar quality and price exist in the area.

spain
Level Contributor
122 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

Look at Via Condotti and Fontana di Trevi zone, it's very central (Look at Montecitorio hotel, it's very little but the situation is excellent, you can walk to all the attractions).

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

Hi

If you are planning several day trips I would recommend that you stay closer to Termini. Yes, the area might have a bad reputation but my wife and I stayed there last year and we didn't have any problems. We took the train from/to the airport, took buses around town and used the metro. I have a trip report that I can share with you if this is your first time in Rome. Get in touch and I'll give you the details :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

You might also consider staying near Piazza Barberini. There is a Metro stop, only two stops from Termini, convenient for day trips (I did it last week and it was easy). You can also take the Metro to the Vatican, Colosseum and other locations in Rome as well. I recommend this in summer, as the heat and crowds can be unbearable!

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

I agree with the termini area suggestion, especially if you will be making many trips out of Rome. It will make it easier and take less of your valuable time if you are near the termini. We stayed on via Firenze which is about 5-10 minute walk away and we really loved it. It is steps away from via Nazionale and very convenient for everything. We stayed at Hotel Centro if you want to check them out on venere.com. Good luck to you !!

6. Re: First visit to Rome : hotel / neighborhood help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 16, 2009