We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
870 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Hi there!

So, I found a very nice fly ticket to Rome (70€/person round trip with lugage) from saturday morning to sunday evening, so I took it.

I am not a first timer, I've been Twice to Rome, once with high school, then as a solo traveller. Bus as young men use to grow up, now I'm going with my girlfriend… I am looking for a travel plan that can is taking note about:

Me: As a usual backpacker, I really like easythings, local street food, local popular places, not to pay too much to sleep (that's just a waste of money! Lol )…

Her: She's basically a women, so she likes shopping, restaurants, comfortable hotels, not to walk too much, and historical monuments (she studies history).

And the game is to combine all of this this with a tiny budget, which is estimated at 85€/p for 2 days, all inclusive (from public transport to Hotel via food), excluding shopping.

Let's start with the basic expenses (per person):

Terravision bus (airport transfert): 8€

Metro ticket for 2 days: 12€ (does it includes buses????)

Hotel (I'm staying at Guest Haus Praetorium, not too expensive but looks cosy): 22€ (with city tax and breakfast)

So it comes to 42€.

Then I am looking for places to eat, that's here that you can help!!

Saturday lunch: Budget is 7€.. I want to eat very fast, so I was thinking about mc Donalds in Repubblica. But if you know a small frech sandwich maker, if possible close to Termini, in the same budget, I take it.

Saturday evening: Budget is around 15€, and I want to eat a pizza !!! I only read good review about Antica Stabia Pizzeria. If I book around 1pm, isn't it too late? It seems very small place. If you know another very nice pizzeria, I'm listening.

Sunday lunch: Budget is 7€. I am open to any suggestion, if possible not far from the Vatican area (the plan of the day).

Activities:

Saturday afternoon: Forum and Colosseum. Do you confirm that is 7,5€ for students or young EU citizens?

Saturday evening/ Piazza Navonna and Piazza di Spagna (I love those places.. And costs nothing), as well as Fontana di Trevi (of couse….)

Sunday afternoon: Vatican and San Pietro Basilica: How much is basic the entry price? And how much is the ticket to go to the roof? It stays 6,5€ on our budget… lol

Thank you to help us to enjoy, even with our tiny budget :-)

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
870 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Everyone is too rich to take care about small budget :-p ?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Some free things to do-

eatingitalyfoodtours.com/2013/…

hostelworld.com/travel-features/155907/15-th…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

You can find good pizza all over Rome, on such a short trip, there is no reason not to find a place to have it near where you are spending time on that afternoon instead of leaving to travel to a pizza place you have heard about.

Prices for cafes/restaurants are posted so you will know the prices before going in - and, you will see the prices. Not sure you can sit down and eat too many place for just 7 euros but there may be some cafes off the main piazzas and tourist areas where you can. I have grabbed paninis for 4 euros from some shops but not place where I was then able to sit down; when you sit in many cafes, prices can be higher.

You can easily have a pizza for one for 5 euros - you can get them from 8 to 11 euros (maybe a few places less or more) so you could also have a glass of wine, or something to go with it.

I don't think that for your time there you need a transportation pass at 12 euros; individual tickets cost just 1.5 euros and once validated (do not forget to validate them), they are good for 90 minutes. In two weeks last trip, I used maybe 5 or 6 tickets the entire trip - it is a very walkable city. Read up on buses/trams/metro:

roninrome.com/transportation/bus-metro-tram-…

There is a lot of great info on the roninrome.com site

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
870 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

@heidotheroad

Thanks for the link, it is interesting stuff

@momcat.

You're right, need a daypass for the 1st day, but for the 2nd day I think I only need 3 rides so 4.5€..

For the Pizza, I know I can find it everywhere, but I would like a real good one, really tasty (with real cheese, real tomatoes... not just artificial cheese and concentred tomato sauce..)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

I don't think you'll find any pizzas in Rome with artificial cheese. However, €15 for two pizzas is a small budget, so I don't know if you'll find the "best" pizza. Or was that €15 per person?

You might want to go to a place that sells pizza by the slice. It's not usually as good as a whole individual pizza in a pizzeria, but you could also try several types of pizza, one slice of each.

There are several inexpensive places to eat inside Termini Station, that would be better than McDonalds. Two are self-service restaurants, and there are several other fast-food places. One of the self-service restaurants is on the second level, with a lift in the main hall on the track 24 side. The other is on the ground level near Track 24.

I have a tiny correction to the information above about metro/bus tickets. They are valid for 100 minutes, and they include transfers. For instance, you could take the metro and then use the same ticket on a bus, as long as the 100 minutes haven't expired. The day pass is worth it if you take four trips, but each trip can be on several different buses and on the metro; the metro can be used only once on each ticket. I almost never spend enough to make it worth buying a day pass.

Be very careful in the Vatican area, as there are many restaurants there that make a career of ripping off tourists. You might want to buy something to eat in a supermarket and take it with you.

The Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill ticket costs €7.50 for EU citizens between 18 and 25 years of age.

There is no fee to enter St. Peter's Basilica; the cost of the trip to the top of the dome is (I believe) €7 if you use the lift, and €6 if you climb the stairs. The Vatican Museums costs €16, which is probably over your budget. However, your time is also short, and the Basilica itself is probably enough for your time.

All of the churches of Rome are free to enter, and some of them have great works of art inside. Near Piazza Navona, San Luigi dei Francesi (the church of French people in Rome) has three Caravaggio paintings. The church of San Pietro in Vincoli has Michelangelo's statue of Moses.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,936 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Sorry about goof on how long ticket is good for -

I understood the budget the OP detailed to be figures per person but I may not have understood.

Careful with drinks - like sodas (coke, pepsi, etc) - those can be very expensive, especially in restaurants. If you want any of those, I'd stop and pick it up a shop where it will be cheaper - as will many things.

When you sit down in a restaurant, you will be charged per person for the bread they may bring to your table (2 to 4 euros depending on where you are eating) - IF you do NOT want the bread, ask the server to take it away immediately or you will be charged for it. This surprises a lot of people though it is written on the menus.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Reading it again, it seems I misunderstood and the €15 is for one person, so that should be fine.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
870 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Hi to you both, and thank you for your help again.

Firstly, yes, the 15€ for saturday dinner is per person (I expect like a Pizza for 10-12€ and a soft drink or a beer for 3-4€..)

@bvlenci: Can you tell me more about the self catering inside Termini station? I'm interested...

About the Vatican Area, I am lucky that I've already been to the museum some years ago, so no needs to go back, I just want to show the Basilica to my gilfriend.. if it is free entrance, it is perfect :-)

And more important question... If I buy a bus ticket, take a ride from the Basilica to Piazza Navona, then have like 30min walk there, and take another bus to go to Termini, I don't have to buy another one as long as the trip starts less than 100min ago... Am I right?

@Momcat

Thanks for the bread advice... I'll tell them that I don't need it. Is water free as France, or have I to pay as in Portugal?

Grazzie mille !!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

Tap water is free but if you get a bottle you have to pay. You can choose gassata or non gassata.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Be part of my trip, help me to plan my weekend in Rome!!

You could certainly take a bus from the Basilica to near Piazza Navona, walk around for 30 minutes, and take another bus to Termini station, all on a single ticket. The two buses together should take no longer than half an hour, plus maybe ten minutes waiting at the bus stop, so you could probably spend an hour walking around Piazza Navona. However, you should finish the trip, I think, before the 100 minutes end. You don't show the ticket when you get on the bus, but a ticket inspector may ask to see it at any point in the journey.

I don't remember the names of the self-service restaurants in the station. I know that one is on the upper level, with both stairs and a lift on your right as you enter the station from the large piazza in front of it. The other, as I said, is smaller, and is alongside the last track on your right. As I said, there are a number of other fast food places in the station. The self-service restaurant on the upper level and several of the fast food places are operated by the Autogrill company, which operates the restaurants along the autostrade.

There are also some places to get food on the lower level, and there are two supermarkets, one on the lower level and one on the main level along track 1. Both have food to take out, ready to eat.