We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
146 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee in Rome

Does the cafés serve "long black" in Rome?

I ordered "caffe Americano" and " caffe grande" and each time I was given expresso (in a tiny cup).

Can't we get those big cupped black coffee diluted by hot water (aka Long Black) here?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee in Rome

Pick your poison:

yourguidetoitaly.com/types-of-italian-coffee…

I think you just need to request more hot water added to maybe get what you are after. I have never heard of a "long black" so can't compare.

I'm surprised you were given a regular espresso in tiny cup when requesting the Caffe Americano because when I've seen people order it, they did get what it seemed you are asking for - maybe the places you went just did not know what it meant.

san diego...
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee in Rome

Even working in a coffee shop here a caffe Americano is espresso with water. But MomCat is right, should have been in a much bigger cup. Caffe lungo is probably what you are looking for :)

Durban...
Level Contributor
64 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee in Rome

We were in Rome last month. Whenever we order cafe americano or capuccino both were served in tiny cups with the former half full. 3 weeks of drinking undiluted coffee, I have now developed a love for espresso. :)

The only place I found that serve real grande is the cafe at The Mall in Florence.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee in Rome

I drink a long black.....it is in a small cup but long.

In Italy I order a caffè lungo or sometimes a caffè lungo.... nero if it is an espresso cup.

some mornings if the grip of the grape has grasped the pre frontal lobes it is a doppio lungo.....a double shot long. (this is really is just a double infusion)

The problem is if you order an Americano it is liable to come out in a large cup commonly known as a bucket here.

50% of the time in Umbria if no explanation of ordering is given it will come as a coffee with hot water on the side.

So as you can see it is an inexact science.

I serve an average of 2000 plus cups a day thru my cafes and there is never a commonality of what is exact only a methodology suited to environment.

Give in yet ???

rome
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee in Rome

A caffe (espresso) is a tiny sip. If you order a lungo, it will be maybe two sips. An americano will be much more diluted with italian standards but probably still not what you want/are used to, i would say about 150ml. Caffe grande does not exist.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee in Rome

maybe wine gal this is the answer....... it would be treated as trying to be helpful

"per favore posso l'acqua calda supplementare"

please can i have some added hot water

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee in Rome

@ Mausgrass: the grammatically correct version would be: "Potrebbe aggiungere dell'acqua calda?" or: "Per favore, potrebbe allungare il caffè con dell'acqua calda?".

Edited: 2:53 am, December 06, 2013
Turin
Level Contributor
5,095 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee in Rome

Please, please take a pic of the bartender while asking it, please!

Maybe the OP thinks that the cappuccino cup that is commonly used to serve the americano is stil to small?

9. Re: Coffee in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 08, 2014