We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

Hello,

I will be traveling to Rome for 1 week and was curious if the following will work:

1. Arrive at FCO.

2. Head to Leonardo Express/train/transit area.

3. Buy two single Leonardo Express tickets.

4. Also (if available) at FCO, buy a Metro/Bus/Tram CIS ticket (7-day) or do this at Termini.

5. Validate one of the Leonardo Express tickets for travel *to* Rome Termini in the yellow box.

6. Arrive Termini station, use Metro CIS ticket to travel to a stop closer to hotel.

[ .. visit .. ]

7. Morning of return, purchase metro ticket to Termini station (or walk)

8. Use previously purchased (unvalidated) Leonardo Express ticket *to* FCO.

9. Go to line 23/24 in Termini Station at least 30 minutes before departure.

10. Validate the ticket in the yellow box.

11. Return to FCO for return flight.

Also just to confirm, the 7-day CIS pass only needs to be validated once(?) and then you carry it around with you and it is valid for metro, bus and second class in regional trains within Rome, correct?

Will this work/does anyone see any issues?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

Where is your hotel? You may not need to go to termini at all, there are other trains besides the Leonardo express that go to other parts of the city from FCO - and they're cheaper.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

Hotel is south west from the Repubblica metro stop.

München
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

I have read somewhere that you can drive with the CIS for 32€ from the airport to Rom. Is it true?

Vaughan, Ontario...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

Hi Tom. I just arrived back last night from a 7 day trip to Rome. I did pretty much the same thing you described. A few comments to note:

When I took the Leonardo Express from the Airport to Termini, I noticed I did not have to validate my ticket at a yellow box. Rather it got validated (stamped) when I went through the turnstile. However, the morning of my return, I did have to validate my ticket using the yellow box. The platform for the Leonardo Express was #24.

I purchased my CIS (7 day pass) at Termini. Go to the lower level, going to the Metro.

You validate the CIS once. For me, it was validated (stamped) the moment I went through the turnstile for the Metro. After that, you just keep it with you. However, you must use your card every time you go through the turnstile for the Metro.

Have a great trip.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,578 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

The CIS is not valid for any train to or from FCO airport.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

If your hotel is southwest of the Repubblica metro stop, and if you're not burdened with excessive luggage, you might want to walk there from Termini station. Depending on exactly where it is, it shouldn't be more than a 15-minute walk, and getting on the metro with luggage is not a piece of cake, either.

Also, if seven calendar days have not passed from the time you first used your CIS ticket, you can still use it on the metro going back to Fiumicino. Or you could also walk on the way back.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

Thanks for the replies, all worked out so far!

Also on the first week of the month someone mentioned ticket validation.

For my FCO-Rome airport transfer I was right behind the conductor and he validated everyone's tickets in that cabin. Yes, my ticket was properly stamped in the yellow-box before hand, so no issues but FYI.

The fee if you don't do it is 100 euro (fine) + ticket cost I believe.

Just noting that as it used to be 50 euro as others have mentioned.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

If you're taking the Leonardo Express into Rome, you now have to pass through a turnstile, inserting your ticket to open the gate. This stamps the ticket, so there's no longer the possibility of getting on the train with an invalid ticket. I don't remember whether the same is true for the FR1 train.

9. Re: Purchase tickets To & From FCO upon arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 05, 2014