We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine class/testing

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South of Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Wine class/testing

Have any of you taken a night wine tasting or class you recommend? We really don't know much about wine.

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine class/testing

We're talking "enoteca" here, right? In other words, a place where you drink/taste wine and also eat good food (not a wise idea to taste wine without eating ...). OK, two suggestions:

A suggestion for lunch time, preferably, but it also works fine for dinner. "casa Bleve", Via del Teatro Valle, 48, Roma (Tel.: 066865970). This is not far from the Pantheon. The website is: http://www.casableve.com/ . They also have menus shown on the website. Regarding wines, for instance, I like the red Barbaresco (brand "Produttori del Barbaresco" is a good one, much cheaper then the renowned and expensive Gaja). For white wines I like Ribolla gialla (Gravner is super, but it costs!), or Sauvignon de la Tour Villa Russiz. There is also an excellent white wine from Sardinia "Vermentino Capichera", or an interesting red from Tuscany "le Sughere di Frassinello" (both in a reasonable price range). Choose an italian wine anyway.

A suggestion for late afternoon/dinner is "Enoteca Costantini", http://www.pierocostantini.it/. Address: Piazza Cavour 16, Roma, tel. 06 3203575. Piazza Cavour is not far from Castel Sant'Angelo, to give you an idea of the location. Try there -for white wines- a "Frascati", it is a wine grown on the hills surrounding Rome; they have Frascati superiore vigneto Filonard Villa Simone, which is excellent and not expensive (it's actually a brand from the owner of the place there)i. Another white wine I like is the Salina Bianco Hauner (which is not expensive), or the Trebbiano d'Abruzzo Valentini (very expensive) or Trebbiano Marina Cvetic (expensive). If you like red wines, I leave the choice to you, ask the waiter, they know about the subject. A good thing is to go there at about 6.30-7pm. I strongly suggest you to visit the shop they have next to the bar, they have a very nice cellar underground. You can buy the wine for yourself before 7.30 pm, when the shop is open.

In both places i indicated you also eat great food, both appetizers and normal courses. I think yours is a great idea, makes a change from the tipycal restaurant. You're going to enjoy it: as they say "in vino veritas"!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine class/testing

A little over an hour from Rome by train or car is www.decugnanodiebarbi.com/english It is an amazing tour and tasting. Found this place from TA users. Highly recommend!

3. Re: Wine class/testing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:04 am, August 31, 2013
Texas
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine class/testing

Oops wrong link it is www.decugnanodeibarbi.com/english

5. Re: Wine class/testing

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:04 am, August 31, 2013
South of Houston
Level Contributor
181 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine class/testing

Have any of you gone to vinoroma

7. Re: Wine class/testing

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 31, 2014