We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC USA
Level Contributor
136 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

Wondering if on our upcoming trip to Italy if we will notice local Roman and other Italian city residents returning from their August Holiday in the last week or two of August - beginning after the Assumption of August 15 weekend? Or will they be away right up until September 1?

And conversely by the last couple weeks of August will the wave of tourists be subsiding? ( I know we're in that wave :) )

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,345 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

High season goes all the way through October.

Donna

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,742 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

Tourists will still be there in huge numbers; it's not like everyone who lives in Rome (or Italy for that matter) leave town - many do take their holidays during August (early, middle and late) - so, no way to know. I don't see how it would impact your time there - are you concerned about something specific?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,496 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

I don't think Romani means what you think it does -- for example, it does not refer to Romans.

Metairie, Louisiana
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

i went to italy the last 2 weeks in august because it had gotten the cheapest flights than and i rented a complete apartment!!!!! , for cheaper than a hotel room. Someone told me because EVERYONE is gone then, well it did not make much difference to me,when i was there, just a VERY FEW smaller shops were closed, but right next door one was open that had basically the same stuff, all the tourist places are open, and restaurants , museums too. IT was HOT there but i'm from new orleans louisiana , so I'm used to it, just remember to bring a scarf or mini jacket for going in churches, especially in the vatican city , they will not let you in , no shorts or sleeveless, HAVE FUN, LOVE ROME , take a cooking class. Sit in the piazza novana and have a glass of wine for me.ENJOY

rome
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

This has been discussed here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k66672…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

"Romani" DOES mean "Romans", both ancient and modern.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

You'd be hard pushed to spot a single local in the city centre anyway! To tourist, our presence (or the lack of it) is unnoticeable...

8. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:19 am, August 05, 2013
Edited: 6:19 am, August 05, 2013
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

The August holidays are more noticeable in Milan because a lot of the offices close down so a lot of restaurants shut because they don't have the lunchtime custom but it is better than it used to be when it was like a ghost town.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will the Romani begin to return from Holiday by late August?

Sometimes it seems as though half of Milan is in Le Marche in August.