We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
11 posts
Save Topic
Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

Can anyone tell me if the excavations under St Peters would be a problem for claustrophobics? I wouldn't consider myself a true claustrophobic, but I can get a little anxious in really tight places. Any insight would be appreciated.

Illinois, USA
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

I took the archaelogy tour beneath St. Peter's several years ago and do not remember it being particularly close. The ceiling (concrete supporting the church floor above) was fairly high, and many of the ancient structures were only waist/shoulder height, leaving a fair amount of open space above. I remember a few tighter spaces but these were either optional little detours or areas passed through quickly. I would highly recommend this fascinating tour.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

I agree with snakesr. There are only a few tight places. The excavations area is kept cool to help keep things preserved - don't know if that helps you at all but I know being hot can provoke feelings of claustrophia.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

In addition, you're never to far from exiting, so maybe that will help. These excavations are not like the dark, tight spaces of catacombes.

Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

Question is how tight is tight - I will say this, my daughter has very mild asthma, she plays sports but uses a breathe thing (I don't know what its called). I wish she had brought it because she had quite a bout with shortness of breath down there - I've never seen her need it except when she plays sports. Just an FYI.

Indiana
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Claustrophobia and excavations under St Peters

Thank you so much for the info. I am really looking forward to tour! Rodan