We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

I noticed there is a cheaper train from Florence to Roma Ostiense via .italo vs. Florence to Roma Termini via trenitalia.

We just need to get to Florence to the Rome Airport. Is it cheaper / a better option to just jump the train to Roma Ostiense and then quick cab to airport?

I just saw the TrenItaliana prices shot way up, I should have bought them earlier.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

From Ostiense station, you could also take a train (the FR1) to the airport. Or a taxi, if you prefer. The train costs 8 euros, and is probably faster as well as cheaper. The taxi is 48 euros (fixed rate).

chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

thanks bvlenci. would you recommend this vs. going Florence to Roma Termini, then airport? i'm confused with my options :)

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

Italo from Firenze SMN to Roma Ostiense will stop first at Roma Tiburtina (where you could get off and board the same FR1 airport train to FCO). I assume that the Italo Treno discount fare to Ostiense is the same as to Tiburtina?????

Trenitalia goes to either Roma Termini or Roma Tiburtina. The Leonardo da Vinci nonstop airport train to FCO from Termini costs a whopping 14 Euros, so you will save money by taking the FR1 airport train from EITHER Tiburtina OR Ostiense.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,942 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

Not to be a mother hen, but if this is for a flight back to the United States, you really (really) do need to be at FCO 3 hours prior to flight departure. It is needed these days.

chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

its a flight to palermo, not going back to the US yet.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

FYI there are also flights from Pisa (closer to Florence) to Palermo and from Florence to Palermo!!!

…firenze.it/images/pdf/Orario_Generale/TIMET…

chicago
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

darn ... i hadn't heard of 'volotea' and didn't realize Pisa went to Palermo. flights already booked on easy jet.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

I have taken the FR-1 to FCO airport more than once from Trastevere station instead of Ostienese.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

I would stay on the train until you get to Ostiense, unless you're traveling in the afternoon. The FR1 train carries commuters into Rome in the morning, and it will be more crowded at Tiburtina than at Ostiense.

10. Re: Help! Firenze to Rome via Roma Ostiense train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 05, 2014