We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit rome or florence first?

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
visit rome or florence first?

I have just been to rome with friends .and would like to return in October visiting Florence also. Any advice on which to visit first and how long to stay in Florence.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
221 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit rome or florence first?

We spent 5 days/nights in May and feel that was great because there is so much to see do in this wonderful city. Taking a little more time made our visit much more relaxing and were able to take in many neighborhoods as well as key tour sites in a more leisure way. Also, allowed time to visit Siena and Fiesole on a day trip. Not having to check out/in to different hotel suited our desires perfectly.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visit rome or florence first?

Which airports are you arriving and departing? That can make a difference on which city to visit first.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visit rome or florence first?

Suggest you buy the cheapest transportation tickets that you can find, and visit the cities in the order that is most logical and convenient. I can't think of any reason to visit one before the other.

If you stay five days in Florence and have a plan, and focus on sightseeing, and spend an average amount of time in a site, you will see much of what there is to see but not all of it. That is, if you plan every day well before you go. You have to know where you are going because museums have very variable hours; sometimes they are different every day! (The concept of museums being open from 10 to 5 every day has never come to Florence.) If you don't have a plan, you will miss a lot because you will get places and they won't be open.

Spirit

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visit rome or florence first?

Hi BerylS, Another detail in helping you to decide will the arrival and departure times of your flight. For me, flights that depart too early or arrive in my destination city late cut a full day off of my time in that city, so I generally try to fly into the city with an arrival of the late morning early afternoon and fly home late morning or early afternoon so even if it cheaper to say fly out of Rome, but the flight leaves at 5 am as opposed to 3 pm in Florence, that might be worth the extra bucks. Just from my experience this year, I was surprised at how uniform the plane fares were. They were almost the same no matter your departure or arrival city, so my determination was made solely on departure and arrival times. If you use Kayak, there is a way to check fares by arrival and departure times. You just have to set the time in the square on the left of the page. Have a great trip.

Edited: 2:19 am, June 25, 2013
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visit rome or florence first?

I like to be in my departure city the night before my departing flight, just in case. So, if I were flying out of Rome, I would prefer to visit Florence first.

Usually, the earliest flights leave from the smaller airports, because they have a connection at a larger airport,

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visit rome or florence first?

thanks very much, really useful info that I had'nt thought of. Thanks also for kayak info.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visit rome or florence first?

Just a heads up, Rome actually had the most early morning flights this year, like at 5 or 6 am (Ugh). My choices were to depart from were Rome, Florence, Milan or Venice. I chose Venice even though it was at 7:30 am. There is something wonderful about being a water taxi at 5 am going through the canals in Venice and arriving at Marco Polo airport by water. It is incredible. I don't mind getting no sleep for that experience. You are going from one world to another. Magic.

8. Re: visit rome or florence first?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 27, 2014