We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick pompei visit possible?

London
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Topic
quick pompei visit possible?

Hi all,

will be arriving in naples @ 2.30pm on 4th july, would it be possible to get to see the Site of Pompei or Herculaneum, if heading back to rome the next day @ 15.20. if we leave it till early next day (5th) say, be there for when it opens, ie, 8/9am, will we have enough time to have a good look around, and then head to the airport for flight back to Rome? say from 8am till 2pm, will this be enough time? also, what is the best site to visit? Herculaneum, or popmei?

any help and info would be most gratefull.

Many thanks,

Mike.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

You can't stay at the site until 2 p.m. if you have a flight at 15:20 (3:20p.m.) - is that what you are suggesting? Depending on your airline, you will need to be at the airport at least 1.5 hours pre-departure time. Check with your airline though as they all have their check in cut off times (i.e., EasyJet requires you check in at least 45 minutes prior to the flight)

You could get to either site early in the day - which is the best time in the heat of the summer - very little shade to be had at Pompei and, if like most July days, it will be very very hot/humid. So, the earlier the better - at either site (whichever one you choose to visit) - do take sunscreen, a hat and water.

London
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

Am i not explaing my situation correctly???? Will be arriving in naples on TUESDAY 4th july @ 2.30 pm. So i guess i WILL NOT have enough time to visit Pompei/Herculaneum on TUESDAY. So am hoping will have enough time on the WEDNESDAY 5th, if i arrive as soon as it opens. just want to know if i will have enough time to have a good look around, if i leave at 2pm, so from 8am to 2pm is 6 HOURS, will this be worth it, and what site should i visit? Pompei or Herculanuem? which site is more intresting?

Also, How would i get to the sites? bus/train/taxi?

would anyone know how long it takes to get there? am staying near cruise terminals.

New York
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

Instead of YELLING with ???? perhaps go to the websites of both places and DECIDE which is more interesting to you. Plus you can get the opening and closing times and then DECIDE if you have enough time on Tuesday. If you have a flight on Wednesday at 3:20 you cannot stay at either site until 2pm and expect to make your flight.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

TrickyMicky, settle down!

Momcat has given you a very good answer based on how long it takes to

a) deplane and reach Pompeii from Naples airport, and

b) see the site properly, and factor in transportation to Rome with enough time for a flight the following day

I will reiterate her point; you cannot stay at Pompeii until 2 pm on July 5th if you have a flight out of Rome at 15:20. The train from Pompeii to Naples is a slow commuter train that takes about 45 minutes from Pompeii to Naples. Once you reach Naples, you will need to take another, 70 minute train to reach Rome Termini (that's if you are lucky enough to time it so you can catch the fast train, and not the slower, 130 minute train). And you haven't even gotten to the airport yet.

So if you leave at two and take these two trains, you will have already missed your flight.

The fact is, you have a lot of travel time here, and near Pompeii the trains and buses are not fast. In addition you are arriving in the middle of the day, (if your flight is on time) with luggage.

Here's your home town analogy; "I'm flying into Heathrow at 2:30, do I have time for a quick visit to Bath, before I fly out of Gatwick the following day at 3:20?"

And now, be nice.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,742 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

You may have time for a visit on your first day as Pompeii stays open until 7.30pm with the last entry at 6pm.

Naples airport is very close to the city centre so if you're staying there you may be able to get to your hotel and to Napoli Centrale to take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii within a reasonable time. Even if you get there by 4pm there is still enough time for a decent visit.

The Cirvumvesuviana train timetable is here:

eavcampania.it/web/…sorrento_0.pdf

Alternatively, if you can afford it, a taxi to the Pompeii site with a two hour wait and return is 90 euros.

London
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

Appologies, am not shouting, honest. will already be in naples. will leave for visit from hotel, around 7/8am via taxi, for quickest time, and leave around 1pm, allowing myself 2 hours for travel to airport, again, via taxi, and check in, flight back to Rome, so hoping say, 5 hours will be enough??

Sorry Momcat, if i came across wrong way,

London
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

Wow, great news Kathy, thanks for that, might do it on 1st day then, as soon as i get there, and do something else on second? thanks for the link too, great help.

London
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

would you know what stop it would be? Pompei s????

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

Just out of curiosity - after leaving Naples, are you then taking a connecting flight onwards from Fiumicino, or returning to Rome for a while longer?

Only, if the latter, you could extend your stay at Pompei and return to the capital by train - with the fastest services between the two city centres scheduled at only 68 minutes..... about as long as you'd be in the air, but without any faffing at checkin and then Arrivals, or travelling out to and back in from the airports!

In Naples, the obvious place to pair with Pompei is the National Archaeological Museum there

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_National_Archaeol…

..... the source of some of what's currently on display at the British Museum.....

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/pompe…

... but do please be aware that it's CLOSED ON TUESDAYS !!!!

Yes, shouting - having been dumb enough to haul over from Ischia, only to find....

So you don't make the same mistake, for other places in and near the city...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k5346…

Does seem rather a waste, if paying for two flights and also a night's hotel stay, to then squeeze your Pompeii visit into whatever may be left of that first afternoon?

But if that's what you want, to get there directly from the airport, note that the Curreri buses stop near the site on their way to Sorrento!

Now running to their high-season schedule, 10 each day - and set to take 25 minutes and cost €10 for Pompei, leaving at: 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13:00 , then 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 18:00 and 19:30

www.curreriviaggi.it/inglese/E_index.html

Rather too much detail here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k48…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Cairns
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quick pompei visit possible?

My grand-daughter and I did this trip last April by train from Rome.

The fast train to Naples was delayed by over 1 hour (not sure why) so we arrived (also by train) at Pompeii at about 12.00pm.

Stayed at the site for 2 hours, then on the way back stopped off at Herculean for 1.5 hours before boarding the 4.30 train to Naples, then on to Rome

Pompeii is a large and awesome site. About 3 hours would get you a good coverage with plenty of time for photos. Herculean is more compact, so allow 2 hours at this amazing village. You must see both!!!

If you are going to the sites by taxi (good idea) why not go to Pompeii and Herculean on your first day in Naples, then visit the museum at Naples the next morning. We were sorry we did not have time to do that, as many artefacts from both sites are displayed there.

The suggestion of using the fast train from Naples to Rome is a good one if you have not yet booked flights.

Have a great time, we did...