We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash in Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cash in Italy

I am going to need to make a bunch of relatively large cash payments while traveling (boat charters, tour guides etc) - the amounts will far exceed the limits I have imposed on my atm - are old fashioned travelers checks still the best and safest way to do this? Will I get crushed in service fees exchanging them for cash at deluxe hotels?

Thanks in advance for the help

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Cash in Italy

money pouch secured!

New York
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Cash in Italy

Unless you're talking about thousand upon thousands of euros I think you're worrying too much. Take what you need for the yacht trip from home and withdraw the rest from the ATM as needed. I've traveled with 1500 euro/dollar combination and never gave it much thought. I also don't use a money belt or pouch. I use a cross body bag.

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Cash in Italy

unfortunately I am..........but yeah that seems to be the plan

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Cash in Italy

Could you not obtain a money order/bank draft in Euros payable directly to the person you have booked yacht etc with? The person you are renting from would only need to take the bank draft, mayde payable to them, to the bank they normally deal with. Maybe this would work?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,871 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Cash in Italy

Italian Post office ATMs ('Postamat') have much higher celings - at least that is the case with my Italian-issued ATM.

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Cash in Italy

go idea bears...................have always thought they would only take cash but let me check with the vendor

thanks

27. Re: Cash in Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 26, 2014