We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary critic

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary critic

I will be in Rome from 8/7/13 - 12/7/13 with my husband, 14 year old son and my elderly parents.

My parents need to rest in the afternoon for a couple of hours (btwn 1pm - 3pm) to recharge the batteries.

Day 1

Arrive @ 11am transfer to hotel Artemide approx 1pm

Rest until 3pm ish (as will have been awake since 4am !!)

Explore surrounding area near hotel

Food Tour 6pm - 10pm

Day 2

Colleseum/Paletine Hill/Forum 10 - 1pm (is this enough time)

Lunch

Rest btwn 2pm - 4pm

Shopping at outlet store Castle Roman

Dinner (suggestions of nice restaurants)

Day 3

Vatican City what is the best time to go when the crowds are smaller ?

This will be the only tour we schedule for this day as will be enough for my parents as is a long tour 3 hours + ?

Suggestions for morning or afternoon depending on when we do Vatican

Day 4

Trevi Fountain

Spanish Steps

??

Would it be beneficial for us to buy the Romapass. If so will do the hop on hop off bus tour today and see where it takes us !!

Day 5

Chill out at hotel and get ready for flight home.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Suzanne

RomeInLimo Tours & Excursions
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Private Tours
Eating Italy Food Tours
Cooking Classes, Food Tours
Rex-Tours The Rome Experience
Segway Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
LivItaly Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary critic

Hi Suzanne

there's so much you could see:

Piazza del Popolo, Trastevere, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Piazza Farnese, Circo Massimo, Aventino, Bocca della verità, Teatro Marcello, il Ghetto, Campo de' Fiori, via dei Banchi Vecchi ...

Rome is big and so beautiful, and according to me, walking in all lanes, without any direction, is the best way to appreciate the city.

I woudn't go to Castle Roma, you could find good shops also in dowtown.

Have a nice trip, Jasmine (from Rome)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary critic

Hi Jasmine

Thanks for your response. Some of the places you have mentioned we will be seeing on our first evening on the food tour and we can always go back to the ones we found the best.

Can you recommend anywhere in particular for good bargain shopping.

I think you are right just exploring your beautiful city walking around will be fantastic. We are also going to do the hop on hop off bus tour and we can do the full trip without getting of first and then decide which places we want to stop at second time round !!

What do you think. Do you think the Omnia Rome pass is better value than paying indivdually and also we get to skip the lines is that correct. Do you think we need a private guide for the Vatican or Colleseum ?

Thanks again for your comments they are much appreciated.

Have a great day.

Suzanne

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary critic

Jasmine beat me to it. I would not bother going to an outlet.

There are lots of great shops in Rome with the current ranges, plus you will be there when the summer sales are on. All the shops, from specialty owner operators to the big labels, will have the sale signs out – Sconti!.

Hotel Artemide is great. Via Nazionale, while a major traffic route, has plenty of shops and various eateries. The streets running off Via Nazionale are also interesting for shopping. I would suggest that if you see something interesting, you buy it- sometimes it is difficult to find the shop again.

Your day 1 looks like a Monday, so be prepared for some things to be closed.

I would not bother with the hop-on hop-off. You cannot get close to everything via the bus and you might find yourself waiting a while for the next one (think hot and wasting your valuable holiday time!). Check out the TA comments.

Taxis are reliable and relatively cheap. We sometimes taxied in one direction and walked in the other. You see so much more on foot.

If you are only planning to go out together for every excursion, you might check with the concierge as they might be able to suggest an efficiient, economical way of doing this. In other words, say a flat fee for a driver to drop you off and a timed pick up.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary critic

For shooping, I like very much via dei Giubbonari (near Campo de' fiori). A lot of people goes to via del Corso and via Nazionale, but the cloth quality isn't always so good.

If you are very rich you could go to via Condotti (Trussardi, Armani, Prada...). Or, if you like vintage fashion, via dei banchi vecchi is the best. Some interesting shops also in Monti area.

I don't know the Omnia Rome Pass. Could you send me the link?

A private guide it's a good choice for Vatican and Colosseum.

If you like baroque, go to Galleria Borghese (galleriaborghese.it/borghese/it/default.htm) and Palazzo Barberini (http://www.galleriaborghese.it/barberini/it/). If you like ancient Rome, don't miss Palazzo Massimo alle Terme or Musei capitolini. But, if you have only 5 days, it isn't a good idea staying closed in a museum, Rome is like an open museum and walking is better way.

You know that will be very hot in that days? I recommend you comfortable shoes and light cotton clothes....

jasmine

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
50 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary critic

And in that days you will find the sales! you will find fantastic bargain shopping!

and remember that you can have the vat refund: www.whyrome.info/italy_vat_refund_76.html.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary critic

In my opinion, the OMNIA pass 8€90) is not good value.

You will be visiting the Colosseum, which costs 12 euros (€13.50 if you reserve in advance to avoid the lines). The Vatican Museums cost €16 (€20 if you reserve in advance to skip the line). This is much cheaper than the Omnia Pass. The Omnia Pass also includes a 3-day ticket on a hop-on, hop-off tour bus, and a 3-day bus/metro pass, but it would be hard to use both in the same three days. Anyway, most people don't use public transportation very much, and the €1.50 tickets are good for 100 minutes, and include transfers. I would guess that at most you'd use about 12 euros worth in three days. Altogether, you could save about 33% by NOT buying the OMNIA pass.

7. Re: Itinerary critic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 21, 2014