We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Peter’s Basilica

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St Peter’s Basilica

We are going to be in Rome in August 21 (Wednesday) and we would like to visit St Peter’s Basilica. I heard that the basilica is often closed on Wednesdays morning. I am wondering how I can find out for sure if it is going to be closed or open in the morning of August 21. I checked the Vatican website and it seems they do not post this information there. We will be in Rome for a very short visit and we want to plan what we will visit first, second and so on. Does anyone have any knowledge where or how I can find this information? Thank you all who will reply in advance! Any advice would be very helpful.

Lidia

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
239 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,560 Reviews
from $74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from $395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from $58.70*
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Peter’s Basilica

The Basilica is not accessible during the Wednesday morning Papal Audience when the audience is held in St. Peter's Square, which is the usual location in the summer months. However, in August, past popes have always been away at Castel Gandolfo in August, and held the Papal Audience there. However, the new Pope Francis hasn't been adhering to the old traditions in many ways, so I can't guarantee that he'll be at Castel Gandolfo in August. I somehow don't see him staying in a papal palace. You can keep an eye on the Pope's calendar here, to see if he'll be in Rome during August. At the moment, they have his calendar only through the end of May:

vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/calendar/pa…

Even when there is a Papal Audience in the square, you should be able to enter the Basilica early in the morning. It opens at 8 AM in the summer, and you would probably have about an hour, maybe more, before you'd have to leave. The audience is at 10, and lasts about an hour. When it's over, it takes a while to dismantle everything, but you should be able to enter the Basilica around noon, I would think.

Mentioned in this post
Castel Gandolfo
Castel Gandolfo
Province of Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Peter’s Basilica

Thank you very much for taking time to reply. I would never found it myself.

Lidia

3. Re: St Peter’s Basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 12, 2014