We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything closed or a holiday ?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster, NY
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anything closed or a holiday ?

I will be in Rome from Sat 6/29 to Wed 7/3. Will there be closings of museums or anything during this time ? Did I possibly read somewhere that one of these days is a holiday ? I am trying to plan out the places we want to see while there and not get anything messed up. Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,494 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything closed or a holiday ?

The 29th is a holiday just for Rome, the feast day of Saints Peter and Paul, the patron saints of Rome. Most Italian towns and cities have a holiday or half-holiday for the feast day of their patron saints.

The Vatican Museums will be closed, because it's also a religious holiday, but other museums and archaeological sites will be open. Some shops may be closed, but most restaurants will be open. Local transportation will be on a holiday schedule, which is almost identical to the Sunday schedule.

Lancaster, NY
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything closed or a holiday ?

Thanks for the help ! Is the last Sunday in June also "free" at the Vatican, so not a good time to go there due to the large crowds ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,494 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything closed or a holiday ?

That's true. Wild horses couldn't drag me there. It was unbearable in November, the only time I went on a free Sunday. That was over 15 years ago, when visits were lower, and November is one of the least busy months.

Remember that many other museums are closed on Mondays. The Colosseum (and Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) are open on Mondays, as is the Vatican Museums.

Lancaster, NY
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything closed or a holiday ?

Thanks for the help and info. We should be in Rome (from Florence) by noon that Sat, just planning on walking around seeing the people, shops and area. Then I have Sun, Mon and Tues to fill with things to do. Probably the Vatican and all that entails on Tues, on Mon the Colosseum along with the Forum & Palantine Hill, and on Sun head to Pompeii. I don't want to fill too much stuff into each day as we would like time to see non-tour related things. The different areas of Rome and soaking up the culture, shopping, food, wine and more food ! Do you have any suggestions ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,494 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything closed or a holiday ?

With such a very short time in Rome, you might want to consider a trip to Ostia Antica, half an hour from central Rome, rather than Pompeii:

http://ostia-antica.org/

6. Re: Anything closed or a holiday ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 22, 2014