We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romapass and kids

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chevy Chase...
2 posts
Save Topic
Romapass and kids

Hi

I'm confused about the RomaPass and kids. I seemed to read that there is no kid discount bc it is already discounted. Also confused about skip the line. I have 2 adults and 2 kids ( 8 and 10)

should I buy 4 roma passes or 2 and buy kids tickets separately and then do i still need to make reservations at colosseum if i have a romapass? and to go undergraound it's a totally different process right?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,838 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romapass and kids

Your kids do not qualify for any discounts as the discounts are for EU citizens only. Your kids would pay the full price so depending on the sites you wish to see you may want to get the romapass to save some time and money. You'll need to do the math to see if the card will save you any money.

If you have the romapass that will work as your entry into the colosseum. It won't have anything to do with any tours. You'll need to book them separately. There is a "Top Question" that addresses this.

Your kids will qualify for a discount at the Vatican museums.

Donna

Chevy Chase...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Romapass and kids

thank you donna. i just read all the posts about the underground tours and finally understand and booked. I opted against the romapass although I could still get it for the other museums. so i'm assuming those "guided tours" of the underground are run by the colosseum museum itself? the private companies are so much more expensive - it was going to be $360 for a family of 4. I hope I made the right decision.

Similar issue in Venice - seems only tours get underground in the Doge's Palace to the secret chambers....is this correct?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,838 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romapass and kids

The underground tours are given by professional, licensed guides that are very good. You have nothing to worry about. Your kids will love it. There is no need to pay a private company hundreds of euros for the exact same tour.

As for the Doge's palace, yes, I believe the only way to see the secret rooms is on a tour. I haven't done it in years so this may have changed. I would check on the Venice forum to be sure.

Donna

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romapass and kids

yes, there is a secret itenerary tour for the Doges palace-I just booked it. If you book online, there are different categories that you can see if you are eligable for. It is self-explanitory on the officical website who is eligable for a discount. If you want to book the clock tower tour, do it at the same time as there is a discount for that. There is a thread as Donna mentioned giving all the details and the official site.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romapass and kids

The 8-year-old child will be able to ride free on public transportation in Rome, and if you should take a train, both children can travel at half-price.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romapass and kids

Hi, we are leaving in a week for Rome. When I booked my reservations for the Uffizi and L'Accademia in Florence, the clerk told me that there is a new agreement with the US and kids are now free, just like EU children. So now I'm wondering how that affects my decision to geta Romapass for our 2 kids? Anyone have information about this new agreement?

Thanks so much.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romapass and kids

Kids under age 18 now enter free to all state museums in Rome, so it wouldn't make sense to get a Roma Pass for them. If they're under age 11, they also ride free on public transportation.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Romapass and kids

thanks so much.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romapass and kids

Hi bivienci,

referring to your post No. 7, if we buy Roma Pass only for 2 adults and none for kids (mine are aged 9 and 13), I suppose the kids can go with us to skip the queue right ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romapass and kids

The kids need a ticket, even though entrance is free. You have two choices.

1. You can buy two adult "print@home" tickets. When you get to the Colosseum, the kids can get their tickets at the group reservations desk, skipping the long queue for regular tickets.

2. You can buy single tickets (not using the print@home option). This will give you a choice of adult full-price tickets and "free" kids' tickets, which cost €1.50 for the reservation fee. Then you can all pick up your tickets at the desk for reserved tickets, again skipping the long queue.