We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy train tickets

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Italy train tickets

I am going to Italy in May and want to purchase my train tickets in advance. Has anyone used Select Italy to purchase train and tickets to various sites such as the Last Supper in Milan, Vatican, Florence, etc.?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy train tickets

Buy your train tickets from the Italian train system - www.trenitalia.com - no need to pay any more to reseller.

And, for the Vatican museums, use the official Vatican website. Again, why pay more to a reseller?

I only buy through the sites' websites directly - if I buy in advance.

But, if you are fortunate and know exactly when you want to travel, you may find some good discounted fares on Trenitalia but beware of the restrictions with the discounted fares (i.e., losing the ticket altogether if you miss the train, etc).

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy train tickets

As said, there's no need to go thru a re-seller, use the official sites.

Go to the Milan Forum, to the right under Top Questions is info for buying Last Supper Tkts. In the Florence Forum go to TQ for info in obtaining tickets for the Uffizi and Accademia. The official site for Vatican Musuem tickets: mv.vatican.va

Edited: 9:06 am, February 22, 2013
Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy train tickets

A big thank you to MomCat1992 and ocpony for such valuable information!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy train tickets

In the case of the Last Supper, it's rather difficult to get tickets through the official site, even though various tour companies seem to have plenty of them, if you don't mind wasting half a day on their tour.

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy train tickets

Thank you bvlenci... I think I will just take my chances and see if I can get in when I'm there...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy train tickets

We just happened to be in Milan on the Feast of St. Ambrose, the patron saint of Milan. We didn't know it, but on that day, you can see the Last Supper without a reservation, and free of charge. Friends of ours who live in Milan told us the day before, when they heard I had tried to get tickets and couldn't. So we went there early to line up, and got in within an hour. When we left, the line was already very long.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy train tickets

For Last Supper tickets, it is usually better to phone. The web site sometimes has problems, and there are usually more availabilities by phone. From the USA, the number is 011 39 02 928 00360

London, England...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy train tickets

I am planning to go to Italy in April and would like to take trains from rome to venice , naples, milan , florence etc. so if someone can let me know how to go about. What is the best way to move around in Italy from one city to another, don't know driving.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,212 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy train tickets

Buy your tickets *now* for the best prices. See www.trenitalia.com where you must use the Italian versions of place names.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy train tickets

So Nick is the process for booking tickets online from rome to venice straightforward? I thought I'd read previously that they could only be booked from within Italy. Do they issue the tickets electronically? For my 2 kids & I it's only 50 euros extra total for 1st class..You don't think it's worth it??