We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August or September to Rome

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
August or September to Rome

I'm hoping that someone can advise me on the best time to actually see 'The pope '

I had been planning a surprise trip to Rome for my husbands birthday ( aug 27) and have just realised the pope isn't normally in the Vatican I August .... I feel it would be a pity to miss the opportunity of seeing him ( especially as it will be 'the new one ' )

Can anyone advise me on the likely first appearance /mass/ blessing /audience after his summer vacation ...

Also can anyone point me in the direction of a website explaining the various options available for seeing the holy father !

I'm thinking that if its early sept I could rearrange our dates to enable us to see him !

But will stick with August if its late September before he returns to Vatican .

Many thanks for any help you can give me on this .

Happycruzer

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August or September to Rome

Click Prefecture of the Papal Household for schedules: www.vatican.va

This site has info for tickets to the Wednesdays audiences, plus add'l info: www.santasuzanna.org

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August or September to Rome

Right now, everything is quite in flux ... and different popes have kept different schedules about returning from Castel Gandolfo. Plus, the popes also travel -- as I recall, Pope Benedict went to Lebanon for a few days last September. So, as of today, no one can say with certainty whether the "new" pope will be in Rome on a given day in late August or early September.

If you can wait to book your trip you can watch the Vatican website at http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm after the new pope is elected -- the website lists the pope's "Calendar of Activities."

If you can't wait to book your tickets, I would look at when you want to travel, regardless of the situation with the Vatican. August can be very hot ... my preference would be September (and as late in September as is possible). August you may be able to get a better deal on an apartment or hotel versus September; while many Romans head out of the city for much of August, the tourist attractions are still quite crowded. September is high season, so prices for lodging go up somewhat, and it is also crowded, but the temperatures start going down. So, it comes down to some personal choices.

Hope this helps!

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
750 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August or September to Rome

Spanish steps , many, many thanks for the great info !

In feel we have to book soon before flight prices get any higher ... But on the other hand having been to Rome on 2 precious occasions and never manages to see the pope ( although we did see pope JP2 when he came to the uk)

When we were there previously he was away skiing and the other time , he was overseas !

So I'd like to see him , especially the new pope ... But really don't want to risk flight prices going through the roof !

I'll weigh up pros and cons tonight and make my decision ... Thanks you again for info and also for the link .... If we don't see him this trip it's always an excuse to come back :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: August or September to Rome

it is just so hot in August, pls go as late in Sept as you can.

I have been both and now try to go end Sept, early Oct.

enjoy

5. Re: August or September to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2014