We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery for Rome - comments

Stamford...
Level Contributor
192 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery for Rome - comments

I would be 3 months pregnant and traveling with a 6 year old in march. Does this itinery seem doable?

21st march: Reach Rome at 5:40pm. Check into hotel and sleep due to jet lag

22nd March Colosseum - day

Roman Forum and Palantine - day

Campo de' Fiori - afternoon lunch

Try to do Trevi fountain and spanish steps in the evening. Its beautiful.

23rd march: Vatican museum tour booked at 10:30am. Enjoy vatican city

Evening: Roam and dinner somewhere in Via Veneto

24th march: Easy day in Rome. What can I do and walk around in?

Our train leaves for Florence at 3:55pm that day.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,710 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

It seems fine to me. You've left a lot of time for exploring each day so I think you should grab a guide book and make a list of sites you wish to see if you have the time.

Donna

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

I agree with Donna, your plan is do-able. I would switch out the evening of Via Veneto with perhaps Trastevere, or Monti, or Piazza Navona. Via Veneto has a mystique from the la dolce vita days, but I don't find it very interesting today.

If your son is up to another museum, there's Galleria Borghese. Last time I was there they had short written room guides for children in English. Afterwards, stroll the big park around the Borghese. At the base of the Pincio there is a small museum about Leonardo da Vinci which he might enjoy (it is next to the wonderful church of Santa Maria del Popolo with amazing paintings by Caravaggio). Or, there's the Janiculum Hill, where at noon they shoot a cannon. You might want to check www.romewithkids.com for more ideas. At some point I hope you will take him to the Pantheon, and then to see the delightful elephant with an obelisk on its back just behind the Pantheon in front of the lovely church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva, with its beautiful blue ceilings.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!

3. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:32 am, May 08, 2013
Edited: 1:32 am, May 08, 2013
Saxapahaw, North...
Level Contributor
432 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

You can't see it all in three days, especially with a little one and being in them midst of the exhaustion stage of pregnancy. I think your schedule is perfect for your situation. You have several things on your list to check off without making your child or yourself miserable.

Sounds fantastic to me! Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

The Vatican is a nightmare & that is without having a 6 year old and being 3 months pregnant. I would skip it, it can be terribly crowded and the Sisitine Chapel might be closed due to the conclave at that time.

You can still visit St. Peter's Basilica.

As mentioned above, Via Veneto is a rather depressing place to have dinner. Trastevere, Monti & Piazza Navona areas make for a great evening out.

Edited: 10:59 am, February 17, 2013
Istanbul
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

Actually it seems really doable and even you can expand the tour :)

You should add Piazza Navona, Pantheon (actually they are really 5 minutes walking distance from each other). Also if you have still some time, you must go to Palazzo Barberini that has the best ceiling I have ever seen...

Below, you may find pictures and google maps views of the top visited places in Rome, sorry it isn't in English :( At least you can check the photos and maps to be sure whether it is doable or not :)

saventravel.com/2013/…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,703 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

I agree with Penny; I wouldn't take a six-year-old to the Vatican Museums in any circumstances. Of course, if the Sistine Chapel is closed, the crowds might be bearable.

We've been in Rome every year with my granddaughter, who's now 7. Neither my daughter nor I have ever considered taking her to the Vatican Museums, although she's enjoyed many other museums in Rome, which were much less crowded.

Unless you can carry the child on your shoulders, the only thing he'd see most of the time is the backsides of the grownups in front of him.

8. Re: Itinery for Rome - comments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 19, 2014