We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single woman planning to visit italy

Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
Single woman planning to visit italy

Help! I am a woman looking to plan a trip to Italy alone in May of this year. I dont know where to begin! I want to see Rome, Venice definitely, and am considering going to Spain as well, preferably Barcelona. I am Catholic, so I would like to explore some of the religious history, but I am also a big food/wine/nightlife kinda gal, so I want to have fun too....all while being safe. Any suggestions? Tour? Cruise? How do I book a vacation if I want to just travel by myself? Any advice is appreciated...never been to Europe, basic understanding of Spanish, limited Italian....

Paris
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

BellaDonna,

We each have our own travel style, for myself, I like to be independent, and do/see what I want at my own pace. I also find that planning the trip is half the fun, so I do not take tours or go an cruises.

If you do it yourself you have two options, you can run a tight schedule, with all of your reservations made well in advance, or you can have a loose itinerary and book hotels/transportation within Italy as you go. Being a single you will usually have no problem finding a place. This is primarily a question of one's personal comfort level.

I find traveling alone as a woman very safe. I have traveled four continents to 20+ countries and I have never felt unsafe. I find it to be a great adventure and I believe that on my own I am more liable to meet people along the way.

I recommend that you start by going to the library, getting several guidebooks and deciding what you really want to see and going from there.

And keep checking in as questions arise.

Philly Burbs
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

In addition to this site, I found the Rick Steves web site to be full of great advice. You may feel more secure by booking hotels in advance, but I would agree with the other post that playing it loose is more fun. Finding things to do is never a problem.

3. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 pm, February 10, 2005
Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

Hi BellaDonna,

I travelled through Italy as a single woman three years ago (I was 22 at the time).

I felt perfectly safe and didn't have any trouble at all.

I stayed in single rooms at hostels and made sure when I was returning from an evening out that I took a taxi.

I'd highly suggest visiting Rome. There is so much to do while you're on your own - tonnes of museums to visit and great restaurants.

I did a walking tour one day to meet other people and met other people at the hostels to explore with.

In my opinion, I would NEVER do a tour or take a cruise... it defeats the whole purpose of travelling. Also, I would choose either Italy or Spain to visit... I spent a week just in Rome.

Good luck with your planning - I hope you have a good trip.

new zealand
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

Hi BellaDonna,

I am also a single woman going to Italy in May, although I am coming from New Zealand. I am going to Venice where I have booked into a convent for 5 nights and then to Rome and staying in a B&B for 7 nights so can explore these cities without a mad rush. I feel much more comfortable having booked accommodation as I wanted to get something at a reasonable price and these cities seem very expensive, so I did not want to arrive and be forced to pay more for accommodation than I am comfortable with. I booked on the net and it was all very simple. Also if I find something I like better before I go you usually won't get charged for cancelling if you do it a week or so in advance (but it pays to check with individual places). So basically I have the flexibility to do what I want and the security of knowing that I have a place to stay. I have not sorted out the travel between cities yet but from what I have read on this site the trains are not too difficult to sort out and I don't speak any Italian!!

Don't know if this is any help to you but I hope so!

Maybe i'll see you there!!

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

Hi Belladonna: I have gone to Italy myself several times, and I've never had a problem.. the closest thing I had to a problem was one time when I was checking into a very small hotel in Rome, the owner/front desk manager offered to help me with my luggage, and proceeded to attempt to give me a kiss in the room.....a firm "NO" stopped him in his tracks, and then I got a profuse apology. Now, with the advent of luggage on wheels, I guess I would not have needed the help. Just use your head and you'll be fine and probably have a wonderful time too. Italain girls know to totally ignore the common practice of fellows surrounding a single woman, starting off by complimenting her, and then following her sometimes a good distance. (like the guys who followed Diane Lane in Under the Tuscan Sun, when she latched onto Raul Bova and claimed him as her "husband" to stave them off). The easiest way to shake them is to just ignore them from the start....do not giggle, etc....this is how an Italian girl would deal with the situation. If you have time, Florence is another place that is a rich treasure trove of art, architecture, cuisine, and gold jewelry.

Buon viaggio, El

Sol
Shell Beach,CA
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

Hi Bella Donna,I went to Italy 2 years ago and took a 10 day tour with Cosmos. I was the only woman on the tour who went alone, some had a daughter, mother, sister, but none alone. I loved it, felt safe and secure made new friends form All over the world. Didn't have to worry about the details. I look forward to doing it again, and I applaud you for going it on your own without a tour,(I'm not as adventurous). But many people do, and my married friends love the Rick Steve's guide books. They travel with a little backpack of clothes, go from town to town, make friends with the locals, and get invited into homes. (However her husband speaks a little Italian, and that may or may not have something to do with it.) Have a wonderful time!

Los Angeles, CA
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

BellaDonna,

I, like yourself, am venturing ito Italy solo September 1 - September 17, visiting Rome, Florence and Venice with day trips to Pisa, Lucca, Siena, and Umbria. (I'm 25 from Los Angeles, CA). In addition, like yourself, I had to start from stratch when it came to the planning of my trip - the common place one starts when they have never been to the country they are visiting. The best advice I can offer is to transform yourself into an independent travel agent (this is the thinking mentality to have). YOU have to engulf yourself in research (and be prepared that it will take probably close to a month to plan your trip to not miss any sites or important things that you would like to see, as well as finding the perfect accomodations if you are particular about staying in a certain area as I am). I have been relentless in finding the most luxurious of accomodations but on a 2 star dime, and after many hours of extensive research, I came across hidden gems that only hours of extensive research can lead you to (for instance, I booked an accomodation in Florence, right behind the Duomo - a gorgeous SUITE for 100 Euro!). Research also familiarizes you, in advance, with the areas you will be in...as your actually standing in front of the subjects you were reading about, you'll have a better appreciation for it because you will have actually read about the background of the landmark before you.

Leave Spain for a separate vacation - focus on Italy. There is going to be so much to see and do that you will nearly lose an entire day by train just getting to Spain (consider packing and unpacking, checking out of your hotel, getting to the train station, transportation to your hotel in another country, etc....why not turn that into another day that can be spent in Rome or Venice?!

Also like yourself, I'm a big food/wine/nightlife person but am going to Italy with the understanding that "nightlife" isn't what we will find "nightlife" here in the states to be....wondering around the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Novanna, etc. will surely be the evening highlight - not being within the 4 walls of a club, sipping a drink and being in an atmosphere that is so dark that you can't acntually see the person 3 feet away from you. We can do that here is the US! For me, the purpose is to remove myself from the "norms" of such things - be more contrated on the spanteous happenings that are bound to happen!

If you are an independent person, definately ditch the idea of a group tour of Italy. You will be confined, set to a strict agenda and won't be able to do things at your pace (trust me, I looked into 3 of 4 of them, for cost saving reasonings, before deciding to throw that idea to the way-side and go solo). I couldn't be more thrilled venturing to Italy by myself : )

Invest in some Italian books and cd's and at least learn some basics - the Italian's will appreciate your effort and you won't feel as though you can't communicate AT ALL!

I hope my input has helped!

Happy Travels!

Jessica

Roma
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

hello sweet i live in rome eternity city !you like are my friends

london
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Single woman planning to visit italy

Hi BellaDonna,

I highly recommend taking a private tour. You will discover parts of Rome you'd never see otherwise. Try to get Stefania Troiani as your tour guide, she was fantastic, besides special shopping outings she also gave me the chance to discover places I had always wanted to see without the usual crowds of tourists.

She has a web site where you can reserve tours. They well worth it. You can check out the website http://www.romeshoppinguide.com

Whatever you choose, just ENJOY!

Penny