We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Car Rental: Rome Downtown

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Car Rental: Rome Downtown

Hertz sucks. Every time I use them I'm disappointed. We reserved a car months in advance for 10 days picking up in Downtown Rome Italy. I called upon arriving in Rome to speak with the manager and to see if it were possible for me to pick up the car a few hours earlier. No big deal that it wasn't possible-but what was a big deal is that when we arrived to pick up our car, it was not available. We had ordered a mid size car. The only two options left were for a mini or for a mini van. Who wants to drive a mini van on the coastal roads of the Amalfi coast? Our only choice was the mini and we had to jam our luggage into it. The manager couldn't care about our problem and he told us that we would receive credit when we dropped our car off in Venice. Problem was-we were dropping our car off on a Sunday and the rental car drop off was closed. Despite what our travel agent had told us---and what the Rome folks told us (both indicated the drop off time had to be before 1:00pm) So Hertz--you lost a customer. The car was booked through Auto Europe in Maine through my American Express agent. I did make a call to Auto Europe from Italy-but they were not helpful. Maybe they'll be more in the groove after the holiday. I am a believer that the adventure is in the journey-but hassles like this are un-welcomed and unwarranted.

Reading UK
Level Contributor
106 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hertz Car Rental: Rome Downtown

We've only had bad experiences with Hertz when we've used down town locations, which often simply don't have enough cars. We always try to rent at an airport now.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hertz Car Rental: Rome Downtown

I have rented often with Hertz, and have noted, that if the return is to an airport, everything is fine. But, this time, I returned it to a dealer in Conca D'Oro. They dinged me 183.00 euros to my credit card, for god knows what. I don't. Come to find out, not all Hertz outlets are the same. There is some unknown difference to me, but not to my travel agent. I thought I was being smart here, dropping the car off close to Roma Centro, but basically did myself over.

13. Re: Hertz Car Rental: Rome Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 21, 2014