We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to Rome

What is a good fare to fly from Pittsburgh or the midwest to Rome, Italy. We booked a 15 day tour in October of 2013. Currently fares are $1,190 per person. Do we hold-out and keep searching? At what price break do we grab the fare? Thank you!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to Rome

All depends on where you are flying out of, and how many times you are willing to change planes.Flights from Philly range from 8 hrs to 13 hrs travel time.

Canfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to Rome

Thank you for your response PA19.

Current fares at approximately $1,200 per person, are from Pittsburgh to JFK in New York, then onto Rome. Hence, one plane change. Is this a fare to grab? Also, has anyone had success simply letting the tour company, in this case Globus, get the fare for you?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to Rome

I was just researching this and typical costs were in the $1100 per person range. I managed to get a bit of a deal on a flight at just under $950, direct from Toronto.

Since you have the additional flight to JFK, $1200 doesn't strike me as out of line. But, since you are not travelling till Oct 2013, you have lots of time to watch for specials.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to Rome

$1,200 is a good price from Pittsburgh with a connecting flight to JFK and a direct flight from JFK to Rome. The biggest drivers for air fare costs are fuel and airport taxes/fees. Unless you think the price of oil will decrease in the next couple of months, then I would book sooner than later especially since you already know when you'll need to be there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to Rome

Another approach is to monitor the seats on specific flights that you're considering. Once the plane starts to fill up, you know that the likelihood of price drops will disappear.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to Rome

I don't think there's any advantage to booking so soon. Often there is a fare sale in late winter or early spring. Even if there isn't one this year, I don't think it will be going any higher than that. That's about what we paid, in the other direction, for a flight around Christmas, which is generally an expensive season. October should be cheaper than the summer.

You could sign up for a fare watch from kayak.com or a similar site, and buy the tickets if and when you see that they're going up (apart from little blips).

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to Rome

May I jump in? Bvlenci, you mentioned fare sales in late winter/early spring. We will be flying in mid April and returning in early June. Is there ever a sale time for such time of the year flights?

pa
Level Contributor
795 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to Rome

Good question I'm considering going in Sept. from PIT and don't know whether to take the gamble of waiting or not since we have specific dates and times that we have to fly. If we buy now and prices drop I''ll be kicking myself since there's 6 of us!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to Rome

I don't like to set myself up as a fare guru, because I've been bit a few times myself. However, I almost never buy flights more than two months in advance. The one exception is for flights at Christmas time, which are always expensive and tend to fill up.

This year, I researched our Christmas flights in early October. I saved a tentative itinerary on Expedia and emailed it to all the other people concerned to see if the dates were all right. Then, probably because I was in the midst of planning a different trip, I forgot that I hadn't actually bought the tickets. However, all along I was telling everybody the dates we'd be away, convinced that it was set in stone.

A few weeks ago, my daughter asked me to send her our itinerary. I told her I had already sent it to her, but would do so again. I was shocked when I went on Expedia that there was no itinerary! I was afraid prices would be sky high and that seats on the dates I wanted would be sold out. Fortunately, I was able to get good flights (short layovers, reasonable hours of departure) on the same dates, for only a little more than I had originally been planning to spend. One flight seems to be nearly sold out, because my husband and I couldn't get seats right together, although we did get seats across the aisle from each other. The other five flights involved (it's a long haul!!) were all fine.

Although I bought these flights on Expedia, I usually also check out the airline sites to see if they have something better. This time I didn't do that, because I was just glad to see I could still get good flights and didn't want to dilly dally any longer.

Edited: 4:47 am, December 08, 2012
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
331 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to Rome

Since you've got to fly through New York (not always, but most airlines will take you via a hub somewhere), check foreign airlines from NYC. While there are pro's and con's to almost any route these days, you can sometimes save a substantial amount of money.

We live about 60 miles outside of Pittsburgh and the last time we went to Rome (2 years ago), we drove to JFK. We flew Finnair (8-hr. layover in Helsinki, which allowed us to spend a fair amount of time in the city and we loved it) and their service was wonderful. Fare was $636.00 into Rome and back out through Warsaw.

Even with fuel costs, car park and the hassle of driving to NYC (great going in...not so great driving home in rush hour traffic), we saved a substantial amount of money by not flying out of Pittsburgh (4 adults with a RT fare around $1,000 each at the time).

I just did a quick check on Finnair.com and the cheapest April fare was $737 RT JFK-FCO, all-inclusive. Like I said, there are pro's and con's to driving to a hub and/or mixing/matching airlines to get to one's destination, but sometimes its worthwhile. Just make sure you make plans for when your plans go awry...delays, canceled flights, etc.

Make sure you sign up for mileage programs for any airline you might use. You'll get emails regarding special fares, so make sure you register your email address.

Don't limit your entry city to just Rome. If you fine a super fare to another entry point, check on low-cost carriers into Rome from that city. All of this takes a great deal of time to research and coordinate, but if you're looking to save money (aren't we all?), try it out. It doesn't cost anything to research.

If you are more comfortable using one airline, there's nothing wrong with that. Airfare is a crap shoot...you've got to be in the right place at the right time to snag those low fares. If any of us knew where that right place was, we wouldn't need forums such at this one! ;o)

Good luck!