We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underground Colesseum question

Ontario
Level Contributor
304 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Underground Colesseum question

Hi, and thanks in advance for your responses. If we bought the 22euro undergound tour from Omniticket.com for Dec 9th, are we able to spend as much time in colesseum as we need. We also want to do the regular colesseum tour as well. Does the 22 euro ticket alow us to do both levels. Merci

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,560 Reviews
from $74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from $395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from $58.70*
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underground Colesseum question

I'd be interested in this answer also. Maybe also of someone knows if the above also applies to a Rona pass.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underground Colesseum question

Yes, the tour ticket for 22 euros includes the entry cost. You can stay as long as you like after the tour is over. You won't have access to the underground or third tier once the tour is over but you can stay in the main parts of the colosseum for as long as you wish.

As to taking a tour of the main areas, this would be a waste of money. The information given on the underground tour is much the same as the information given on the regular tour so you would basically be paying twice for the same information. You really don't need to be on a tour to understand the main areas of the colosseum. It is well signed so you can wander at your leisure and still know what it is you're seeing.

The romapass will gain you entry into the site but has nothing to do with any tours. You won't get any type of discount on the tour by using the romapass. If using the pass for entry you'll need to call to book the underground tour. The number is on the website. You'll still be able to spend as much time at the site as you wish.

Donna

London, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underground Colesseum question

If I don't book a tour for the colosseum does the entry ticket I purchase on the day (I believe it is around 7 or 8 euros last time I looked) get me into the underground also or is the underground section only restricted to tours?

Also, will I be able to get a good audio guide to rent from the ticket desk on the day? I have downloaded one from itunes but it's very short and I don't want to lug my heavy guide book along with me. Thanks

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underground Colesseum question

The regular entry ticket doesn't include access to the underground areas.

There is an audio tour available at the Colosseum, but I don't know how good it is. The Rick Steves web site has a free audio tour that isn't bad.

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,354 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Underground Colesseum question

The underground and third tier can only be seen while on a tour. They are not open to the general public and your entry ticket will not get you into these areas.

Donna

Bowling Green, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Underground Colesseum question

I checked the website and no tours are listed for January. Does anyone know if and when these might become available?

London, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Underground Colesseum question

Bvlenci, Donna, thanks

Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underground Colesseum question

I emailed them about January tours and they told me to call and they would book a tour. I can see the dates in January but they are not select-able yet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underground Colesseum question

Just out of curiosity, Can I assume then the Roma pass doesn't give full access also? Sorry to coattail this thread but it seems to be on topic and saves yet another thread ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underground Colesseum question

There's no need to save threads! They don't cost anything.

The answer to your question, wawo, is in responses 2 and 5 above, if you reread them carefully. The underground and third tier of the Colosseum can only be seen with a tour, and the Roma Pass covers entry, but not any tours. If you'll have the Roma Pass, you have to reserve the tour by calling the number on the website. Tell them you'll have the Roma Pass, and they'll charge you only for the tour.

The number to call is (I'm pretty sure) +39 02 58140380 . Be sure to call during work hours in Italy (9 AM to 1 PM, then 2 PM until 6 PM).

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
120,354 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe