We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
179 posts
741 reviews
Save Topic
ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

I've been plotting my itinerary from Rome to Tuscany hill towns and further to Florence using these two sites. I am confused with regards to the big difference in travel times between the ViaMichelin and GoogleMap. Say for instance, GoogleMap trip from Via Sardegna in Rome to Montepulciano via Orvieto adds up to 2 hours and 7 minutes. ViaMichelin on the other hand totals 2 hours and 49 minutes for the same trip. Which is more reliable? I would like to plan ahead our trips to enjoy our drives better. Does anybody know which of the two is more reliable? Better yet, any other reliable site? Thanks.

Edited: 4:21 am, November 15, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,002 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

ViaMichelin is based in Europe, and is generally more reliable than Google for road travel information. However, even ViaMichelin gives very optimistic travel times, as it assumes you can travel at the speed limit all the time. The journey you mention would probably take at least 3 hours of actual driving, plus stops.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,968 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

Follow the ViaMichelin recommendations - ViaMichelin had been very optimistic in the past, but has recently recalculated distances and the results are generally reliable.

Vagabonda

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

ViaMichelin allows you to select the fastest route, the scenic route, and other types of route. Depending on which is selected, the times will vary.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
179 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

Thanks all. We will use ViaMichelin to approximate our driving times. Got our routes finalized and darn, we just have to spend more time on the road. I'm trying to avoid spending more than 3 hours of driving on each leg. Please tell me if any of these one way trips will:

Rome-Orvieto- Montepuciano

Montepulciano- Pienza- Montalcino

Montalcino -Siena

Siena- Pisa

Pisa- Florence

Thanks!

Edited: 2:56 am, November 16, 2012
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

No, nothing much over 3 hours there. Although the first one could be, depending on traffic out of Rome.

But I assume you are breaking the journey in Orvieto, so should not be so bad.

Edited: 2:59 am, November 16, 2012
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,968 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

Prego ebbtide123,

Remember that these are only estimated driving times – You can also check road conditions on this site.

www.stradeanas.it/index.php…

http://goo.gl/7Y1s2

Pisa is easy to visit by train, but a nightmare to drive and it’s best to avoid driving in Florence as well. Perhaps return the car prior to arriving in these two destinations, and use public transport.

Vagabonda

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
179 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

We will be driving to Pisa from our Siena hotel, see the tower of Pisa and the Duomo only, then head to Florence, keep the car at the hotel parking lot (outside of ZTL) and return it to the airport early evening. I heard from friends that it is not so bad at all in Pisa as long as you're not driving around town. Is that true? I'm trying to maximize time by not splitting my 3-day stay in Florence by going to Pisa from there on a train.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
179 posts
741 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

@vagabonda.. stradeanas.it works only in Italian, not in English.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
101,968 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

Pisa is best seen via public transport - You might visit from Siena.

frommers.com/destinations/…0168010002.html

You can get a sense of road conditions and also run the information through a translation website.

Vagabonda

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ViaMichelin or GoogleMap to plot your driving times?

Pisa has a ZTL (limited traffic) zone that's very rigorously enforced. If you accidentally stray into one of these zones, a large fine will follow you home, along with a hefty charge from the rental company to compensate them for furnishing your address to the police. I would not drive to the Leaning Tower, which is actually within a ZTL. You would have to park the car before arriving.