We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January public holiday

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
January public holiday

Hi,

We are hoping to arrive into Rome around 4-6th of January, but I notice that there is a public holiday around then.

We are keen to experience Rome when it is a little less crowded, hence the January timing, so I'm interested to know how busy it's likely to be if we arrive at this time.

If we have to, we can go to Venice first.

Any thought?

Thanks, Simone

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January public holiday

The Epiphany is a public holiday around then. It is a Catholic holiday so Venice will be celebrating it also.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
849 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January public holiday

We were there last year during the Feast of the Epiphany, which is on January 6, and I didn't think it was all that crowded.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January public holiday

Rome and Venice are 2 of the most visited cities in Europe, and you will find lots of tourists around all year. Fewer in winter, though, as the weather is not so good. A good time to visit, as long as you don't mind some rain now and again! Both cities are gorgeous, and can be enjoyed at any time of year. Hotel rates tend to be lower in winter, and additional advantage.

Sydney
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January public holiday

Thanks.

We have our summer holidays in Australia in January, and as my husband is a teacher, it's the best time for us to travel.

Cold weather is a novelty for us.

We recently travelled in April and were horrified at the difference in the amount of people travelling.

I'm just concerned that the queues will be awful on this weekend.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January public holiday

January is a great time to go to Rome. I went last year, right after the Epiphany, and most museums were empty. I even had the map room in the Vatican museum all to myself for spells. (I went quite late in the afternoon).

It might be somewhat busier before the Epiphany, but I think once New Year's is over, a lot of the tourist crush leaves.

I would go to Rome first and Venice after the Epiphany. Romans will be vacationing -- some will be in Venice, but that leaves Rome less busy. It is easier for Rome to handle crowds anyway.

Weather in Rome can be quite mild in January. Venice could be very cold, however. Make sure you have very warm socks, trousers and shoes. One's lower legs can get really cold in Venice because the dampness really hugs the ground level.

Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January public holiday

PS: If you are going to in Italy for the Epiphany, you should do some google searches for La Befana, because you are likely to run into her, and it will be more fun if you know who she is.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January public holiday

"Cold weather is a novelty for us"

The weather they have in Rome in the winter can only be called cold by people from hot or mild climates.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

"Cold" starts in when the temperature gets at least down to the melting point of water regularly.

Visit Chicago in Jan for novel cold weather. Lots of great museums to see.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
56 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January public holiday

After the Epiphany (the traditional twelfth day of Christmas), the crowds may be lower

9. Re: January public holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 01, 2013