We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in January.

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rome in January.

Has anyone been to Rome in January? I am looking at a cheap flight and cheap accommodation so very tempted to press the 'Book Now' button.... just worried that I will get there and everything will be closed??

There is so much to see and places i havent been to yet... worth going or waiting until later in the year?? (Im going back in may regardless)

Thanks!

R x

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in January.

Yes! Go in January! We always try to go to Rome during off season and have been in Rome for January many times. Things are open, albeit not open as late as they may be over the summer. as always, check to see if the place you want to go is open. The lines are gone, and it is much easier to walk into a restaurant without reservations. The weather is not bitterly cold (it is colder where we are near Washington, DC) and Rome very, very rarely gets any snow.

This will be a very different experience than going in May as it is definitely less crowded. January will mean there are fewer tourists and a somewhat quieter, gentler Rome.

- David

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in January.

The first week in January, up to Epiphany (the 6th) is actually a lively time in Rome. A lot of Italians visit Rome in this period.

Anyway, Rome is never closed!

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in January.

Fabulous thank you!!! I have booked my ticket!! 28th January 2013...!!!!! Just cant wait to get back there.

Thanks for your input

R xx

Hk
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in January.

I am worried about having snow in Rome in January and whether January is a good time to go to Rome too

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in January.

Yeah, I have been in Rome in January, I live here!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome in January.

PW, it's better not to ask the same question in two different places.

7. Re: Rome in January.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, September 04, 2014