We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome with kids

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rome with kids

Taking our children (ages 15 and 10) to Rome for the first time. We'll be traveling at the end of March 2013 during their school break. What are your suggestions regarding hotels? Most hotels seem to be smaller rooms for 2 people rather than a family of 4. I prefer to be within walking distance of the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, or Colosseum. Budget is $300/night but willing to go higher to get a nicer hotel. Is a rental car necessary to get around? Can we get by with the train and walking?

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome with kids

Once you party reaches 3 in size, one should consider an apt instead of a hotel, but fi you like all the hotel ammenities for a price you can get bigger rooms and suites at some places for a price.

Rome has excellent [pubic transport and drving within the central city by nonresidents is forbidden and enforced by cameras all over aty the boundary of the forbidden drive zone.

"walking distance is a relative term. One can walk even it fi takes 30 min.

Have you checked at Venere.com?

Rome lodging

Where you stay in Rome depends on both your budget and how convenient you want your lodging placed. Centro Storico is the area around the Pantheon, Campo Fiori, and Piazza Navona. It is considered the center of modern Rome and everyone likes/wants to stay there because you can walk to a great number of Rome sites. Because of its popularity, lodging in Centro Storico command a premium to other areas. Same with the Spanish steps. You have to balance your budget restrictions with your convenience factor.

Trastevere, the areas around the Colosseum (Monti, Celio), Barberini area, Vatican are not as central but reasonably charming and convenient. Using Public transport (reasonable good and cheap in Rome), these areas are reasonably convenient. Trastevere is my personal favorite. There are great transportation connections in Trastevere because Tram 8 that services the area runs every 15 min.

At the other end of the spectrum is the area around Termini. This area gets a bad rep, but violent crime in Rome is very low by American standards, and I have stayed in this neighborhood overnight and walked around there more than once after dark with no bad effects. Lodging near here is some of the cheapest in central Rome, but you have to take public transport to nearly all the major sites it you don’t feel like walking 1-2 miles to get there. The other down side is that is charmless and modern

Distance from Termini

1.45 miles to Piazza Navona (as the bird flies)

1.27 miles to the Pantheon (2.04 km)

1 mile to the Colosseum

2.5 miles to Vatican city (St Peter’s Basilica)

Bus 40 into Centro Storico

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

The Rome Metro is not as comprehensive as in other European cities like Paris. There are only 2 lines that cross at temini currently (feb 2011). Someday there will be a third line in Rome which at this time is hopelessly behind schedule. While the Metro is a valuable addition to transport options, to get to many parts or Rome unless you want to do a lot of walking, you will need to use the bus system.

Map of the two Metro lines and the regional trains

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome with kids

The Hotel Romae is within half an hour's walk of all three of the things you mention, and should be within your budget. They have a family room that will sleep 5, as well as a quad or two. On nearby Via XX Settembre, there are several useful bus routes, including a bus that goes to the Vatican. It's also an easy walk from Termini station, where there are buses, trams and metros to all parts of the city.

I use one of these sites to find hotels in Rome.

www.venere.com/italy/rome

www.booking.com

You can choose a neighborhood, and then enter your dates, the number in your party and how many rooms you want. If you indicate four people and 1 room, it will show you only hotels that have quad rooms (or larger).

The most convenient areas for walking are Piazza Navona and Pantheon, but these are also the most expensive areas. The guest rating is a more reliable indicator of overall quality than the number of stars. Read the guest reviews before making a final decision.

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome with kids

We rented 2 apartments for our party of 6 from the Hotel Campo di Fiore. I highly recommend them. One apartment would easily accommodate you. Ours were both the same and each had a bedroom with queen bed and a single pullout chair/bed. Then a living room with 2 sofas/daybeds and another single pullout chair/bed. Our boys, both 17 each slept on one of the daybeds in one of the apartments, our 14 year old daughter slept on one in the other apartment. This will give you an idea that they were plenty big for larger kids or adults. Also, the apartments were actually cheaper than the hotel rooms, but we were there in July during peak season. Very centrally located in Campo di Fiore area. We walked just about everywhere, although in the heat, we did sometimes take cabs back at the end of the day. Also should fall within your $300 price. You have access to the hotel as well if you rent an apartment from them. We checked in there and then they took us with the luggage across the campo to the apartment and got us settled. Check them out on Tripadvisor, the roof top deck is well worth it, too! Enjoy your trip, your kids will love it!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome with kids

I've never stayed in this hotel, but Campo de'Fiori is a great area, convenient to nearly everything. I prefer hotels to apartments, but an apartment which is operated by a hotel usually has the best of both worlds.

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome with kids

Yes, this was definitely the best of both worlds. The only thing the hotel offered that we could not partake in was the free breakfast. But, with the savings for the apartments vs. hotel rooms it was worht missing. I do think in off season, you do get the breakfast, we were there in July which was peak. We always just grabbed scrumptious baked goods from the cafe right across from the hotel to eat on our walk to wherever we were headed each morning. Deeeeelicious!

I will also note that this hotel/apartments were recommended to us by a family of 4 who had rented from them on their trip also.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome with kids

Thank you for all your suggestions. Very helpful info when planning our first trip overseas. What a great community this is! It sounds like renting an apartment is the better option for us. I will look into it. We like to do a lot of walking/hiking on our trips. Our kids are definitely used to walking around the city or hiking for 2+ hours. We chose to go in the spring time vs. summer because the weather will be cooler, plus we're also planning a trip to Banff in July.

We plan to use Rome as a base and taking day trips to Pompeii, Naples, Florence, and Amafi Coast. Will we need a car or is public transportation available? Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome with kids

It's not difficult to take a day trip to Florence, and if you don't want to visit more than a few museums and churches, one day would give you a good feel for the city.

Naples, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast would each need a day or more, and Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast are south of Naples. If you want to visit all three, I suggest you spend three nights in that area, maybe in Sorrento, which is convenient to all three. If you don't want to do this, you could take a day trip to either Naples or Pompeii. The Amalfi coast is really too far for a day trip. Even a trip to Pompeii is long and tiring, especially with kids, and the archaeological site is often already very hot in the spring.

If I'm not mistaken, school breaks in the US are usually a week long. If so, I really think you're trying to do too much.

Since you've never been overseas before, I strongly urge you not to rent an apartment from a private owner or rental agency. I would only rent an apartment that's associated with a hotel, such as the Hotel Campo dei Fiori, mentioned above. For first-timers, a hotel front desk is a marvelous resource. It also avoids the need to make an appointment with an agent, and call if the flight is late; and the need to carry a large amount of cash to pay the balance due before you can take possession of the apartment.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
9 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome with kids

bvlenci,

You're right that spring break is usually one week. This year, however, we have 10 days off. That's one of the reasons we decide to take advantage of the longer break to go overseas. We even plan to leave the day before break for the 16-hour flight. Unfortunately, break coincides around Easter. From my understanding, it's also a busy time in Rome. We happen to like big crowd and the excitement.

I will consider Sorento, but Rome is where we really like to explore on this trip. Perhaps we'll just stay in Rome with a couple of day trips to not overbook and do too much. One of our favorite things to do on trips is people watch. There's nothing better than sitting with a cup of cappuccino, relaxing, and watching people go by.

I looked into Hotel Campo De' Fiori, and the apartment looks perfect for us. Thanks to luvtovaca for the recommendation. Haven't had a chance to look into other suggestions yet, but I will. Love all the helpful comments you've sent my way. It will definitely help with the planning.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome with kids

Another hotel that is very near to Trevi fountain and Spanish Steps is Hotel Madrid. http://www.hotelmadridroma.com/en/hotel.htm

We stayed here in May with kids 20, 18 and 12 in a family room. Really clean and comfortable hotel. Nice rooftop breakfast. Very helpful staff.

Libertyville, IL
Level Contributor
625 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome with kids

We are also going to Rome for Spring Break - we have two boys, 14 and 12.

(we live outside Chicago - and leave on 3/19 - return 3/29)

I just booked airfare and a rental apartment.

Mind you - I spent hours and hours researching. We are staying in the Campo de Fiore area. Also - we will stay in Rome the entire time. Only taking a day trip to Orvieto, and possibly Assisi.

I have a dear friend who used to live in Rome, and she said there is never enough time to see what you want to see in Rome. We thought about splitting the stay and traveling either south to Naples or north to Florence -- but decided that after a while, everything may start to look the same to our boys (how many Churches can one visit, after all)

Check out Orvieto. It's a charming town, and will certainly give us a "countryside" experience outside of the city.

We secured our apartment through VRBO. It will come to roughly $225 per night and has 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, living room and 2 baths. It is on the third floor of a building with elevator and a doorman.

Feel free to email me. I am by no means an expert, but am willing to help.