We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or car

westminster,co
Level Contributor
23 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Train or car

Hello, Going to Rome next summer and wanted to go from Rome to Bologna to Pisa to Florence and back to Rome and Rome to Pompeii and back. I have a car rented driving from venice to Rome. Should I stay with driving or Take trains? My wife is european and I've driven in europe before. Cost isnt really a problem but time is. Anyone have an opinion car or trains FYI I will have a Eurorail pass too but only 10 days not really sure how they work. Thanks for your time.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,429 Reviews
from $83.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from $415.20*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from $61.10*
$67.90
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from $124.60*
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
610 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or car

If your itinerary mostly involves major city centers and their sights, you certainly don't NEED a car, because train service between Bologna, Florence and Rome is pretty fast and convenient. And the car won't be of much use within Rome or Florence, just to get between the cities. So price it out, maybe: if you can commit to an itinerary 120 days before traveling, you should be able to get the cheap train fares. A car is just one more possession to have to worry about on vacation. I think the trains to Pisa from Florence are only regional trains, not the highest speed trains, so maybe keep the car to visit Pisa?

Mentioned in this post
Bologna
Bologna
Florence
Florence
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
2. Re: Train or car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:09 pm, November 03, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,882 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or car

Trains along the Rome - Florence - Venice routes are fast Eurostar trains. Florence to Pisa is regional but it takes just one hour. Having a car at either Florence or Pisa might lead to parking woes and worse yet, transgressing the restricted traffic zone (ZTL) that can lead to hefty fines.

Take trains in your case. Cars are for the countryside such as Tuscany.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Florence
Florence
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or car

I wouldn't use a car even for the trip from Venice to Rome. For two people, the train would be both faster and cheaper, and a lot less irritating.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,344 posts
6,128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or car

+1 for the train use rhetoric of this thread.

westminster,co
Level Contributor
23 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or car

thanks for taking time to read my post.

Paciano, Italy
Level Contributor
462 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or car

All of the suggestions above about the trains are right on in my opinion.

What I don't understand is your itinerary which goes from Rome to Venice & back to Rome then Bologna, Pisa Florence, then Pompei & back.

If you are flying into Rome, see Rome then day trip to Pompei with a tour instead of a rental. Rome to Florence on the fast trains is 2 hours.

Staying in Florence, a day trip to Pisa on the train is 1 hour. From Florence to Bologna on any train is an hour. Bologna to Venice on the fast trains is 2 hours. If your flight leaves out of Rome, the fast trains from Venice to Rome are 3.5 hours. In any case, no cars are needed for any of these cities. Most of what you want to see can be accomplished on foot or in a taxi or vaporeto in the case of Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Florence
Florence
Lucknow, India
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or car

hello ppl..will be travelling to europe (Italy, Swiss . France) in mid octbr..just want a genuine advice for the eurorail pass. our itinerary is like 2 night rome, 2 nights venice , 1 night milan then off to interlaken for 3 nights then 2 nights disney paris and last 3 night paris.

please suggests the mode of travel we should take and if 3 countries euro rail select pass is ok..and for how many days like 5. 6 , 7 or more days pass should we take ?? or should we take point to point pass ?? can we buy the eurorail pass from there itself ??

must watch and recommended places to go for this itinerary

would be grateful if you could help.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or car

@dashingtariq: why are you hijacking other people's threads? This is the 4th time you've posted this request within the last few minutes. Once, by starting your own thread, would have been enough.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or car

@dashingtariq Please open a new thread in the Train travel forum, not here. If you read through the TA forum on Train travel, you will find that a Eurail pass is never recommended. Post a specific question in that forum, and people will reply to you with suggestions.