We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

within walking distance?????? is it

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
within walking distance?????? is it

hi going to rome in april have no idea where to stay every hotel on the net looks good, the domus sessoriana has taken my eye looks great but its outside the centre, near san giovanni metro, is this too far away to walk to all the main spots, the maps are very deceiving the centre looks about a mile and 1/2 away which isnt far but in reality it could be , for example how long does it take to get from the coloseum to say the trevi fountain hoteliers say it takes 5-10 mins to walk from the piazza geruslemme to the station, so in theory is it about 30 mins to the centre ???????????????

1. Re: within walking distance?????? is it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:58 pm, February 04, 2005
Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: within walking distance?????? is it

Try to get into Central Historic Rome, you will be happier. The Roman metro is (in my opinion) a little yucky.

Try these areas for great atmosphere and walking...

Piazza Navona area

Pantheon Area

Spanish Steps area

Try looking at flat rentals to keep economical. www.rentalinrome.com or www.palazzolivia.it or www.vrbo.com are good sources, though you can find others.

albany, ny
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: within walking distance?????? is it

I stayed over by the colloseum and it is a bit of a walk to everything but ancient rome. To trevi fountain id say atleast 20 minutes. by the end of my trip i wished id stayed somewhere more central.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: within walking distance?????? is it

is this too far away to walk to all the main spots

Well, yes...

You won't regret chosing a more central location, like the ones mentioned above (Pzza Navona, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori)... Rome is very much a city where you will walk, and chosing a hotel outside the central area is not to be recommended.

Philly Burbs
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: within walking distance?????? is it

As was said already, Rome is a city to be walked. Timing the distance between sites is secondary because every street, every corner brings you something fascinating. You lose track of time and distance. That said, the areas between the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps are the best areas to stay. There is lots to see and do there. The Vatican is within walking distance, (great to walk along the river), as is the Colloseum. Those would be your farthest walks, about 30-40 minutes or so depending on your pace. Just be sure to take different routes coming and going from places so you can maximize your experiences. Take your time- Italians do.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: within walking distance?????? is it

This is great info and answers many questions I have too. Going in a month with husband & 3 kids...trying to decide how close we need to be to things. Right now we're scheduled to stay in two places: one near trevi & one near the coloseum. I'm thinking that the trevi place is better & we should only stay there.

Also, I love all of the info & opinions people share in this forum. It is so very helpful! Thanks...