We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

Is there any advantage to one over the other? I am overwhelmed with the choices of "outside" tour guides for going through the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Basilica and wonder if it would be simpler to just book an official Vatican Tour Guide through the Vatican Museum website. I will have three teenagers with me and do not want to overwhelm them (ie bore them) by staying longer than three hours. Which kind of tour guide would be best for a two to three hour tour with simple explanations of what we will be seeing in the Vatican, etc.?

P.S. I hope this does come across as being prickly, but I would rather not receive unsolicited advice about what teenagers can handle. I know my children best and know how long they can last in museums/galleries:)

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Gear Rentals, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

I simpathize with you totally, I'm going to be in Rome for 2.5 days with 2 teenagers, and personally would love to see all the historical attractions and museums, while they would probably moan about not going to do any action parks during this trip...

BTW, we plan to take "Rome in a day" tour of "Rome-cabs" that will include a 2 hour tour of the vatican.

Edited: 11:17 am, June 17, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

OOPS. I meant, by my post-script, that I hoped my penultimate sentence would NOT come across as prickly... :) I should have been more careful when proofreading my post before submitting!

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
464 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

I'[m very interested in the answer to your question Frances, we're heading to Rome mid-Dec. and a tour of the Vatican museums is top of our list.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

We did a tour of the Vatican Museums in Sept a few years ago. The guide was booked through our travel agent and was really keen on art and spent an enormous amount of time just on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. It would have been great for art buffs but it meant that he rushed us through the other musuems. It was also unbelievably crowded at that time.

We visited Rome again a couple of years ago in February and visited the Vatican museums again but independently this time so no tour guide. We had a great visit, lingering where we wanted to and at that time of the year it was not crowded at all.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

it reads like you are making them go. If you are so worried about boring them, why go at all?

The official vatican tour was OK. I think it was 2 hours long. It does not cover the whole Vatican Museum. It covers the galleries on the way to the Sistine Chapel and ends just outside of it. Since I was with just one daughter and she was in her 20s we then saw the whole Museum, the Sistine Chapel, and stayed until the Museums closed at 5 pm.

Most of the time the Sistine chapel is packed with people. I have been there 3 times, twice in the off-season in the winter (Dec and Feb), and it was packed then. The rest of the Museum galleries that are not on the way to the Sistine Chapel can be almost deserted.

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

Completely agree with EmeraldDiva. Our first trip to Rome, we took a guided tour through Vatican Museum...very rushed, minimally informative. Our last trip, we decided to go on our own. Went after lunch, no lines, and loved wandering on our own. St. Peter's requires standing in line for security check, but the lines move fast ...no big deal. Much more enjoyable and cheaper than the guided tour thing...entry was 15 euros each . You will go through the Sistine Chapel on this "on your own" tour.

Edited: 12:51 am, June 19, 2012
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,563 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

I've done the tour offered by the Vatican a few times and have found it just long enough with just the right amount of information in order to not be boring. There are two tours, one that does and one that doesn't include the basilica. I would suggest taking the tour that doesn't include the basilica. It's two hours long and allows you to go directly into the basilica. Once inside the basilica you can decide if your kids want to take a tour of the basilica. There is a free tour offered by the basilica that you can join if your kids want to do it.

Donna

Delaware
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

I did the Vatican museum on June 2 with my 22 yr old son with a private guide. I have been meaning to post this as a separate post so I am glad your question prompts me. Doing a private tour turned out to be not just a highlight of our trip, but honestly, a life time highlight. Cecilia Martin, the guide, whose name I got as a referral from a guide Rick Steves mentions in his book, met us outside the Vatican a little before 9 that morning. (I had prebooked tickets and had my voucher with me). She whisked us inside, and we were in the painting room within moments. Neither my son nor I are knowledgeable about this kind of art, nor the history surrounding it. We were just open and interested in learning. What Cecilia was able to do in 3 hours was tie in the progression of art with the history (political and religious- in Rome intertwined as to be inseparable)-of Rome in a way that told a story and was totally absorbing to us. She led us from painting to painting, to sculpture pointing out how this one is different, why it was important, who had commissioned it, etc. We ended our 3 hours in the Sistine Chapel, having done St Peter's Basilica the day before on our own, but she would have taken us there if we wanted. The 3 hours FLEW by in such a pleasant manner and interesting manner. The morning we spent at the Vatican was a highlight of our 16 days in Europe. (By contrast, the next week we spent an aimless and largely boring couple hours in the Louvre, seeing the classic "must-see's" but having no idea of what else we were walking past.) Private guides are typically 50 Euro per hour, 3 hours minimum, and that is what Cecilia charges. Contact info: CECILIAMARTINI2004@libero.it She is Roman, does tours all over the city, and is a delightful, knowledgeable companion. I would love to return to Rome some day and do a tour of churches all over the city (which we did on our own, but man, was I missing her!) Expensive but worth every single penny.

9. Re: Official Vatican Tour Guide vs. Independent Tour Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 am, June 21, 2013