We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days visit...must-sees???

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
4 days visit...must-sees???

What would be the must sees in Rome for a 4 days visit?

We would be travelling with kids aged 1º1 and 9 who are really used to walking and visiting museums and other sites. This visit would be in July...too hot???

Thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

It is likely to be very hot, yes.

You really need to get a good guidebook - usually they will have a map in the book but it is good to have a very good map if the book doesn't have one.

there is much to see in Rome and a guidebooks will help you figure out which site are ones of interest to you and your family.

There are, obviously, the most well known sites which I am guessing you already know but then there are the countless other options.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,850 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

This question gets asked a lot and the simple answer is that no one can tell you what a must see is because we all are different and have different opinions of what's interesting and what's not. As Momcat mentions, I'm sure you'll see the well known sites but for others a guide book really is the best solution for finding what is of interest to you and your family. You should have the kids make a list of what they want to see so that they feel a part of the trip. Rome has so many interesting sites to offer and I'm sure in no time you'll have a list for us to help you with.

Donna

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

I am presuming you are open to suggestions so here we go.

Yes it is hot but Rome has some cool public swimming pools for your kids to enjoy if you want to relax for a couple of hours. The alleys are mostly shaded and of course there are cool spaces in the parks to enjoy too. Step into any church for an instant cooling sensation. So as you can see, you will be able to stay cool and calm during summer in the city.

Some places to think about visiting....

Trajan Markets. Your kids will get an instant understanding of daily life in Rome in this uncrowded, atmospheric space. Every kid can understand the concept of a shopping mall and the dark spaces of the ancient shops are moody and eerie.A visit to the markets before you head to the Forum helps to make the Forum understandable to children.

The mummy in the basement of the Palazzo Massimo is a hoot. This is a fab museum full of great mosaics and sculptures that look like they are about to come to life.

The Villa Borghese offers cycling, roller skating, an underground swimming pool and rowing on the lake.

If it rains, race to the Pantheon so your kids can see the water falling through the oculus. They will never forget it.

Michelangelo's Moses in S.P in Vincoli will freak out the kids This is one fierce Moses and you can see him for free. While you are there, point out the chains that bound St Peter. They are conveniently located in a clear box (cough cough).

There is also the noon day canon in Piazzale Garibaldi up at the Janiculum. Arrive about 15 minutes early to enjoy the show. Castel St Angelo with its dungeons and its armoury is great too, there is a little park within to enjoy after your visit. Tiber island is a lovely spot in the summertime, you can even enjoy an evening outdoor movie or two. The Trastevere is full of atmosphere with its winding streets and unexpected squares....so many wonderful things to do and see with children in tow.

One more thing...enjoy a gelato in Piazza Navona after dinner with your kids. It is so beautiful at night and lots of other families will be out and about. Your kids can run around the fountains in this car free space and work off some energy before bed. It really is a lot of fun.

Hope that helps

Francoise

excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

I've never understood how Trajan's Market helps to make the Roman Forum understandable. It's like saying that a visit to Macy's will help you understand Ellis Island, or a ride on the London Eye will help you understand Westminster Abbey.

Trajan's Market was mostly administrative offices, not shops, in the first place, so it's not comparable to a shopping mall. Like most ancient Roman buildings, there were shops at the ground level. There is an ancient street adjacent to the site, Via Biberatica, which does have ancient Roman shops, but you can't enter them. You really should make sure you visit this street if you visit Trajan's Market, as you can only enter if from inside the Trajan's market site. Apart from the Via Appia Antica, it's the best-preserved ancient Roman street you'll see in Rome, and in many ways, it's more complete, as the building on either side are also ancient. (The upper levels of the buildings date from the middle ages and later times, but the ground level is all ancient Roman. )

The Roman Forum had entirely different functions from Trajan's Market. It has the Curia, the ancient Roman Senate house, and the remains of ancient temples and monuments. You see the ruins of the complex where the Vestal Virgins lived and tended the sacred fire. It has the Via Sacra, where triumphal processions where held. It has the Lapis Niger, which is supposed to mark the tomb of Romulus, the legendary founder of Rome. It has the Rostra, where orators made their speeches. It has several basilicas, where people met to discuss business, and where court cases were heard. It has some monuments and a triumphal arch. I has the Tabularium, where the bronze tablets were kept on which Roman laws were recorded.

Just how will visiting Trajan's Market help in the least tiny way to understand all this?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,850 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

Barb, for her it's not about giving correct information it's about getting her blog addy out there.

Your information is spot on, as always. I think using your information and a good guide book the OP will be able to make an itinerary that is right for her and her family.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

Maybe it's just, "On this side of the street there's a building that's still standing, and on that side there are buildings that have fallen down. Maybe they used to look like this one." ((They didn't, though.)

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

On our recent trip, May 17 - 25, very few of the Trajan's Market ruins were open to tourists. You could pay 11 Euros and see the museum and resticted market area, but this seems excessively overpriced when all potential visitors are warned that access to the Market site is severely restricted at present. For comparison, the cost for Roman Forum, Palatine and Coloseum on a 2 day ticket was 12 Euros.) I would check on the access before making a special trip to Trajan's Market entrance.

I was disappointed because I'd hoped to walk through the "market", but frankly after the other nearby forums, Ostia Antica and the Baths of Caracalla, I don't think I missed anything. Trajan's Forum is easily viewable from the street above. By the way, I'd highly recommend the Baths of Caracalla. Very few people, although the nearby Palatine HIll was packed. The huge structures along with the remnants of mosaic decor are amazing.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

What exactly is off limits at the present time inside the building where the Trajan's Market museum is? The times I've been there, you could see the exhibits installed in the building and also walk around the upper level, and exit from the lower level onto Via Biberatica. This photo shows the building from the outside:

https:/…

This shows the upper level of the building, from the inside:

This is Via Biberatica:

These, and the lower level of the building, are the only parts of Trajan's market that can ever be visited. Are any of these inaccessible at the moment?

The ruins (the forum) in front of Trajan's Market are never available to wander around, nor are the ruins of the other imperial forums on that side of the street. For over twenty years, they've talked of making those other forums accessible, and also of building an underpass so that people could pass from one side of Via dei Fori Imperiali to the other, but I think that will be far in the future, if it ever happens.

The ticket price does seem to be a bit out of line with other ancient sites, such as the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill (€11 for all three) or the Baths of Caracalla (€6), but there is also usually a temporary art exhibit inside, sometimes more interesting than others. In any case, it's a city museum, while the others are state (national) museums so the prices are set by different organizations.

Chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

Sorry, I don't know exactly what is now off-limits because we opted not to pay the 11 Euro's to see. There were signs at the ticket desk indicating that visiting areas were restricted. I tried to ask about access, but with my non-existent Italian, didn't get an answer that assured me that the entry fee was worthwhile. It was our last day, so we decided to go elsewhere.

Perhaps the areas you describe were fully available. On the weekday that we were there, it appeared that there were no tourists in the site, even though the nearby Roman Forum and the street viewing areas of the Imperial Forums were crowded with tourists. We wondered why no one was visiting and this was another reason we decided that we could spend our time and money better elsewhere. I think we ended up visiting many of the churches that we had missed seeing - a wonderful alternative!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days visit...must-sees???

As I said, the outdoor areas (outside the Trajan's Market building) cannot be visited at all, so that's probably why you saw no visitors there. It's never been as much visited as the Roman Forum, mainly, I think, because it doesn't make those all-commanding "must-see" lists.

I don't remember what it cost the last time I was there, which was in 2006, but I was surprised to hear that it cost as much as 11 euros. I don't remember thinking it was overpriced the other times I visited. I have a guide book from 2003, at which time the Colosseum combined ticket cost 8 euros, and Trajan's Market cost 6 euros. At that time the Roman Forum was still free, and there was a 1-euro price increase in 2008 when the Roman Forum became part of the combined ticket.