We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Robbed in Rome

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
669 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Robbed in Rome

We have just returned from our much anticipated trip to Rome. on our 1st day there friday last while on the metro to the vatican my daughters purse was robbed out of the zipped shoulder bag.. it contained her money over €300, student card (for id) bank card (which we were able to quickly cancel thankfully)

A couple of romany gypsy kids got on and tried to steal one of our other friends wallet but the felt her hand and she ran off and unfortunately targeted m y daughter. just please be very careful everyone ..its a terrible experience we were a group of 20 so luckily everyone did a whipround and made sure she was looked after but it truly put a damper on our time there.. i know no one was injured physically but its very distressing and all i can think of what if it was a lone traveller or such.. another man in our hotel also fell victim to these pickpockets and the police told us its a very big problem. so beware and please please really watch your bags.. you never think its going to be you

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,951 reviews
from $76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from $411.30*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,814 reviews
from $123.40*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,602 reviews
from $57.20*
$63.60
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
101. Re: Robbed in Rome

I've always said that the best way to avoid being robbed anywhere is to push your belongings in a shopping cart.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,028 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
102. Re: Robbed in Rome

Even better is to have your possessions in one of those blue-and-white striped bags, rolling down the street snarling profanities at imaginary companions, while drinking from a bottle of meths.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
146 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
103. Re: Robbed in Rome

I haven’t been to Rome and other Italian cities for at least 15 years. I’ve been all over the world and normally don’t run into any problems. I’m very concerned about the upcoming Italy trip with everything I’ve read recently.

We are taking the mentality that we are entering a war zone of thieves. We have studied videos, read articles and are going to do our very best to be prepared. I’ve been told by others the thieves rule the place and will even commit their crime in front of police.

My travel agent notified me of a mandatory fee for each city as a hotel tax. It would be nice if they used some of that money to protect tourists. At some point we will stop being suckers and visit places that are more tourist friendly such as The Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
104. Re: Robbed in Rome

So why on earth are you coming here? Go to Belgium instead!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
105. Re: Robbed in Rome

I'm sorry but that's just silly. Rome is not a war zone. There is no violent crime to speak of and the pick pockets only go after easy targets. If you go to Rome with that attitude I doubt that you'll enjoy much of the city. If you want to be extra cautious get a money belt (not a fanny pack) and use it. This way the pick pockets won't be able to get at your money and you should be fine. Take other normal precautions like don't sit your bag or camera on the floor when you eat and be sure to read the price for food at restaurants and you should have no problems at all.

Donna

port talbot
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
106. Re: Robbed in Rome

I've been to many places in Italy. Rome 6 times, Venice twice, Florence, Sienna, & many other places & I've never ever had any problems whatsoever!! I've heard other people have had problems but I think to be honest you get that in every country!!

Just take the usual precautions & I'm sure you'll be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
Save Reply
107. Re: Robbed in Rome

This is so silly - indeed.

I've never even had a tug on my bag in 21 trips to Rome - or anywhere in Italy for that matter.

I agree - if you are putting this much unnecessary energy into this, you should probably go elsewhere. Doesn't like a fun trip to me.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
146 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
108. Re: Robbed in Rome

My wife really wants to see Italy. We have watched a lot of videos on scams and are taking every precaution. The only thing we haven't figured out is how to get pictures of the both of us together. I'm used to just getting a stranger to take a photo but was advised not to do that in Italy. We were also warned that people volunteer to take your picture than demand up to 50 Euros to get your camera back.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
146 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
109. Re: Robbed in Rome

My wife really wants to see Italy. We have watched a lot of videos on scams and are taking every precaution. The only thing we haven't figured out is how to get pictures of the both of us together. I'm used to just getting a stranger to take a photo but was advised not to do that in Italy. We were also warned that people volunteer to take your picture than demand up to 50 Euros to get your camera back.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
110. Re: Robbed in Rome

Well, that's easy. Don't give your camera to anyone who volunteers. Ask another *American* tourist to take your picture; there are bound to be some around. And don't have your picture taken with a centurion or a gladiator. They demand a fee, but the highest I've ever heard was 10 Euros, not 50.