We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Artist on Piazza Navona

Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Artist on Piazza Navona

Just returned from holiday and very disappointed I lost out on an oil painting. The artist was on Piazza Navona and from the time it took for my husband to ascertain price, find me and return to buy the picture we arrived just in time to see the picture being sold to someone else. However I did notice as he wrapped up the picture he included his card, being disappointed not to get the picture we left and were stupid enough not to request a card so that we could contact him by email. We were actually leaving for home that day.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can find out who sells from the Piazza. I have trawled the web and can find no lead.

In case it helps, it was at the El Sogno end and the artist used oils.

Hope someome can point me in the right direction to search, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
32,331 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Panoramic Rome by Night tour with...
30 Reviews
$96 per adult
Free Cancellation
Rome by Night Walking tour Including...
24 Reviews
$30 per adult
Free Cancellation
Piazza Navona Underground: Stadium of...
3 Reviews
$10 per adult
Free Cancellation
63 replies to this topic
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

You've just avoided a rip off...

This article was on a national newspaper on 27th.

…corriere.it/roma/notizie/cronaca/11_settemb…

It says that those cute watercolors are simply fotocopies on a rough (special) paper that absorbs the ink making the watercolor effect. The only original scrap is the signature.

I hope I cheered you up!!!

Ciao Daniela

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

Except the OP says the artist works in oils not watercolors.

There are many on the piazza. Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you out.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

PS Strolling in Navona with a client involved in art dealing told me about the business of fake oil pantings made in China (no kidding!)....don't be impressed by the artist at work since you didn't see him starting painting!

Ciao Daniela

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Navona
Hotel Navona
1,213 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

The Rome City Council recently passed a bylaw limiting the artists in Piazza Navona to 44 and licensing them:

…corriere.it/roma/notizie/cronaca/11_settemb…

(You can put it through Google Translate.)

The city councillor in charge is:

www.comune.roma.it/wps/portal/pcr…

How far they got with it, whether your man is one of them, whether Gasperini's office will answer (or whether they'll even get an e-mail; the city's e-mail system was shut down a day or two ago because of suspected hacking) - who knows?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
32,331 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

Thank you for your suggestion, I will try.

I note other peoples comments on the water colour paintings and I agree that many of the work I saw was of this type. However the artist that I refer to did work in oils and I am aware what an original oil looks like.

Fingers crossed I still may track down the artist, again thanks for the link.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,230 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

I think - but not certain - that what is meant by the "fake oil paintings from China" is that they may be oil paintings but not done by the Italian sitting in front of them and selling them as original Italian oil paintings.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,223 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

Just returned from Roma and was very intrigued by the spray paint artists in Navona/Campo de Fiori, They were all originals as we watched him bang out 3 in half an hour very good to watch

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
654 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Navona
Hotel Navona
1,213 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Campo de' Fiori
Campo de' Fiori
3,086 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Bedford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

We watched these also. Not my thing but I have to say they were very good.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

While we saw a few good things in Piazza Navona, we have here in Boston The Museum Of Bad Art. :-) Many things in Navona, imho, would qualify. We talked about when we grew up, all our Italian friends had the exact same bowl of fruit (or bouquet of flowers) painting in their homes. They looked exactly like the copies on Piazza Navona. We had to laugh.

Edited: 7:03 pm, October 02, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
32,331 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Navona
Hotel Navona
1,213 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Artist on Piazza Navona

LOL........bought a water color from an "artist" in Piazza Navona last year, so more than likely I was duped. Oh well, I still like the rendering of the Colosseum regardless so I'll still manage to enjoy it. As long as I somehow keep my mind off the 20 Euro it cost me. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
32,331 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
123,826 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Reply to: Artist on Piazza Navona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted