We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

Hello guys, after a second thought, I feel that I may not have enough time to visit them both (put them in the same afternoon may seem even worse), I intend to replace one of them by churches such as St. Paul Outside the Walls.

I like modern/contemporary art, but seems like Galleria Borghese is more famous and known as a "world-class gallery"...

So, if I have to choose only one, any suggestion?

Thanks

Mia

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
62 Reviews
from $376.00*
$537.10
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,159 Reviews
from $74.20*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,139 Reviews
from $58.60*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
39,892 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

For me, it's the Borghese. I never tire of visiting it.

Donna

2. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:58 am, October 04, 2012
Liguria, Italy
Level Contributor
752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

If you are the kind of person who feels uncomfortable not doing what everyone else does, it is true that the borghese is in every guidebook, and people feel obliged to go there even if they never go to art museums in the US.

But if modern art interests you more, and you aren't taking this trip to do what other people like rather than what you like, it scarcely matters that the borghese is more famous.

The above post is giving good advice. It is not too hard to find pictures online of the collections of each museum.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

For us its the Borghese, but we're not big fans of modern art. The two museums are very different in what is on display, if you prefer modern art, then its an easy decision.

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

The Borghese Gallery is not one of my favorites. Its collection is very heavy in Baroque art, especially sculpture. Bernini is not my favorite sculptor, and the Baroque is not my favorite period. They have some excellent pieces from other periods, but not enough to bring me back there again and again. Besides, between the distance from the center, the timed entrances, and the half hour early arrival, it's a visit that eats up a large chunk of your day. I've been to the Borghese twice, and would go again for a special exhibit that interested me, but there are a number of museums in Rome that I rate higher. For starters, the Museo di Arte Antica in Palazzo Barberini, and the Capitoline Museums. I haven't see the Gallery of Modern Art yet, but if you prefer modern art, go there.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

100% Borghese, even my teenage twins enjoyed it, which was amazing

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
732 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

I totally agree with HappyontheRiviera. If you prefer classic art, go to the Borghese Gallery; if you prefer modern and contemporary art, go to the GNAM, without being coinditioned by what "everyone" does.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,972 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

I like both, having been a number of times to both - but, as everyone says - this one is a completely personal choice.

Art is so subjective, I can't imagine how someone could advise on this question.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

My suggestion: skip St. Paul outside the Walls (it's almost entirely a 19th-century reconstruction) and go to both.

Or consider it this way: how many opportunities have you had/will you have to 1. visit museums of modern and contemporary art or 2. see Bernini sculptures and Baroque art? GNAM is not in the top category for the first; Galleria Borghese is arguably the best in the world for the second.

Florida
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National Gallery of Modern Art or Galleria Borghese?

My husband and I have gone to many art museums, but the Borghese is definitely one we feel should not be missed. We wish we could have stayed twice as long, but near the end of your 2 hours you must exit for the next timed group to enter. Although the Borghese is covered by the Roma Pass don't expect to decide to go at the last minute as it requires a reservation time made by your hotel or by you online or by phone.