We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing David at the Academia

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing David at the Academia

I know you need tickets to get into this musuem to see David, but is it necessary to get them ahead of time or is it fairly easy to get in there, as opposed the the other musueums, such as as the Uffizi?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,560 Reviews
from $74.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
541 Reviews
from $395.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,877 Reviews
from $58.70*
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing David at the Academia

I think it all depends on what time of the year you are traveling to Florence. You should probably ask the hotel front desk person once you get there - they can make reservation for their guests. I was just in Florence earlier this month so of course I went to see this famous scuplture. Since the Gelleria della Academia is rather small compared to the Uffizzi, it is relatively easy to get in. My friend and I went there around 10:30 am with no reservation, we bought the tickets right there. No wait.... $8 euro per person.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing David at the Academia

You need tickets in advance. I'd get them for both the Accademia and the Uffizi. The lines can definitely be very long for both, even if you get there early. Many hotels in Florence can reserve the tickets for you, I would e-mail the hotel before you go and indicate what time you would like a reservation for. Then when you get there, the hotel will give you a paper indicating the time that they have made the reservation for you. You then go to the museum at that time to pick up the tickets and get into the line for people with reservations. There will be a much more slowly moving line for those without.

If, in the event that your hotel can't make reservations for you (this is unusual), you can buy tickets at selectitaly.com.

Mentioned in this post
Accademia Hotel
Accademia Hotel
1,357 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Florence
Florence
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
154 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing David at the Academia

Thank you for the info. I have already purchased my tickets to the Uffizi a few weeks ago. That is all set.

It sounds like I don't have too much to worry about then. Thanks everyone!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing David at the Academia

Regarding your visit to the Uffizi, be sure to block out a big chunk of your day for your visit. An astonishingly beautiful collection and you'll wander through gallery after gallery in a dream and lose all sense of time. God I envy you!

P.S. If your visit takes place in the winter months don't check your coat. The galleries can be quite chilly!

-nj

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing David at the Academia

Ruthbruin,

Just thought I'd chime in too about museum times. Yes, the Uffizi should take most, if not all of a day, and rightly so. The Accademia is a much shorter trip. In fact, if you are like everyone else, you might spend more time staring up at David from various angles than time spent in the rest of the museum combined. Don't miss that first room when you first enter the museum, though, in your haste to round the corner and see David. There are some great works of art in the first room. Overall, though, a half-day for the Accademia is easily enough. Hope that helps to allot time. Have fun, hard not to in Firenze!

Mentioned in this post
Accademia Hotel
Accademia Hotel
1,357 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing David at the Academia

If you go during high tourist season, make sure to reserve...it costs nothing, and can save the day: my childhood best friend was on a cruise, and had only a few hours to enjoy Florence. Contrary to my advice, she did not reserve, and as a result had to forgo seeing the statue of David due to the long lines.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Hotel David
Hotel David
3,426 Reviews
Florence, Italy