We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Dear all

A stark warning about the above - avoid making the same mistake as me.

I booked a car from these people from "Rome Fiumicino Airport", believing (understandably) this would be convenient for my flight. What they neglect to tell you is that they are in fact several kilometres away from the airport, and offer a very limited shuttle bus to the airport, at times that suit them and not you (it is certainly not 24 hour or even close).

We nearly missed our flight having to deal with navigating our way to their offices, and then waiting for ths shuttle bus when it eventually turned up late.

I simply do not understand how, given the critical nature of timing around getting to an airport, they can claim they are based at the airport. If you want the convenience of an airport-based car rental service, avoid Advantage.

Tom

Newcastle England
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

yes and you get an empty petrol tank.... beware this company look very poor...

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,758 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Rule of thumb, when you stray from the majors (Avis, Hertz, etc.) you're setting yourself up for challenges. Good advice and thanks for sharing.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,281 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

If you look on the car rental fare search sites, you will find that Advantage is always the cheaper option and there is typically a reason so always do your homework.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Agree with what you're saying in principle Sammyfloyd, the issue I have is if a car rental company say it's at the airport and it's not, this is simply misrepresentation - it's very hard to combat that.

There's little doubt that Advantage misrepresent where they are based in this case. That said, hopefully my warning here will form part of some future would-be renter's homework!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Unfortunately, in many countries there are car rental companies that describe themselves as being at an airport when in fact they run a shuttle from the airport.

Indeed, many (?all) of the car rentals at Heathrow run shuttles as they are located at the north-west edge of the airport complex, a long way from the terminals.

Snekkersten
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Dear Tom

We had exactly the same experience last week in Rome.

The voucher, we had, did not mention anything about the location of the company, which is far away from the airport. When we arrived to return the car, nobody was there to take the car back - he came after 15 minutes, we waited around ½ hour with no shuttlebus coming, but the gguy kept saying: it will be here in 10 minutes... so we ended up running to the highway and catching a cap to the airport - and we got our plane, but only because I had checked us in at the internet.

SO: never, never, never rent a car at Advantage in Rome. You get no information at all about all the difficulties and it is not that cheap!

Best regards

Mrs Gitte Lillelund Bech

Denmark

Snekkersten
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Dear Tom

We had exactly the same experience last week in Rome.

The voucher, we had, did not mention anything about the location of the company, which is far away from the airport. When we arrived to return the car, nobody was there to take the car back - he came after 15 minutes, we waited around ½ hour with no shuttlebus coming, but the gguy kept saying: it will be here in 10 minutes... so we ended up running to the highway and catching a cap to the airport - and we got our plane, but only because I had checked us in at the internet.

SO: never, never, never rent a car at Advantage in Rome. You get no information at all about all the difficulties and it is not that cheap!

Best regards

Mrs Gitte Lillelund Bech

Denmark

United States
Level Contributor
9,599 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

I don't know how you booked your rental (direct or with a broker) but I just did a test search with Orbitz and Advantage is clearly listed as offsite.

www.orbitz.com/App/NavigateCarMatrix…

TAB

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

Unfortunately I had also opportunity to "enjoy" their service at the beginning of July. The pickup place for their shuttle is not clearly marked and we ended up waiting for 1.5h for the shuttle to appear while continously trying to reach them by phone (nobody answered at the office, nor the shuttle driver cared to answer until few minutes before pickup as I managed to get his direct cell number from the tourist information; tourist info told me that I was not the only one with trouble to get to their site and taxis don't want to take you there because the fare is too small compared to trip to city center...).

But the true nightmare started at their office. Queu in front of me was 8 persons (two persons at the desk handling them), but it took minimum of 30min to process one customer. Further to the insult they didn't have any larger cars available despite confirmed and prepaid orders, so there were plenty of angry customers at the office. They didn't really have a single car that could even fit four adult persons and luggage, not to mention the 7-seater we had paid for... Their lame offer was to give two small cars instead. Hmm, extended family of 7 persons spending time together for two weeks, a lot of km and need for two drivers when planning for nice lunches and dinners with good wine - disaster.

Luckily our vendor Auto Europe was able to find us a replacement from another rental company, so we headed back to airport to get the van and we got on the road 6h later than planned. Thumbs up for Auto Europe for their good service. But never again Advantage!

Enniskillen, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Advantage car rental "Rome Fiumicino Airport" - a warning

well we had all the problems listed here with added bonus!!!1 hour outside rome the brakelines explode at the back two wheels,on the autostada!!no emergency contacts answered,selpt in car with two young children...got an emergency breakdown..was told tower would be provided taxi back to airport where another car would be waiting for us..we thought phew!!!all went well until we got to hertz...had to pay taxi driver 115 euro..whitch we now have to claim back off advantage(some chance)put 50 euro to fill the car up!so we lost 165 euro...nearly got killed in a dodgy car...lost a day of our holiday..the stress was rediculous...only to be answered by advantage by some clown who pretended not to understand me even though he was the joker who left us standing at bus station 9 for a hour an a half then procedded to tell me that he was fed up because he had been working from 8 that morning!!...then pretended he couldn't hear me...then turned off his phone!!!!this firm is criminal...