We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

I have an adaptor with two round prongs that I have used in England. Does this also work in Rome for my 110 volt items?

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,591 Reviews
from $73.50*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,883 Reviews
from $58.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from $391.20*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,837 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

It must be a very old adaptor: the UK has used rectangular prongs for at least the past 20 years.

Without seeing the adaptor, all one can say is "maybe".

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

There are some houses in the UK that have both kinds of plugs. (mine, for example). You see these plugs more commonly in France.

A plug for Italy will have three prongs all side by side.

http://www.interpower.com/icl/guide.htm

Edited: 12:00 pm, June 03, 2011
Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Italy
Italy
Europe
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,837 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

The plug I use in Italy has only two round prongs. The one that Lend27 has might work, but it depends on how big the prongs are and how far apart.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

My local AAA has a wall poster illustrating all the types of adapters/converters and where they are used. If you have a AAA office near you, give it a try.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

If your items are 110 volts only, they'll not be very happy - no matter how you attach them to the power supply here in Italy!

But should they actually be dual-voltage, then your adaptor needs to fit one or another of these type of arrangements...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/134506289

If did indeed fit a British round pin socket, then it really should work in an Italian one of the same size - plugs of ours that did do!

Almost certainly, it will match the two with a pair of red pins in that photo...

Peter

Edited: 1:19 pm, June 03, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

For those whose mind won't stretch to accepting what they've not seen - here's the sort of round to square adaptor sold in Britain today for using 2 pin appliances elsewhere in the house...

www.gordons-chemists.com/products/54713

Although Ive had to change a few, I've yet to buy a shaver, electric toothbrush etc that came fitted with a 3 pin plug?

Peter

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,733 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

I have found that in many places in Italy you need a 3 round prong adaptor.

The 2 round prong one that I can use in Spain only works in a few places in Italy but not all.

I have had good luck in Italy just asking at my hotel for help with this issue.

Edited: 1:46 pm, June 03, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

There are two issues to deal with using US electronics in Rome

- First, you need an adapter to fit the prongs on your plug into the holes in the Italian outlet.

- Second, you need something that will allow your appliance to run on the 220 volts pumped out by Italian sockets.

90%+ of small electronics have their own built in voltage adaptor, so all you need to worry about is a plug/prong adaptor. Somewhere on your electronics - usually on the plug - will be information on what voltage it can take.

If you have something (usually a hair drier / straightener / curler) that isn't duel voltage, I personally feel it is much better to leave it at home rather than deal with a voltage adaptor. If necessary, just buy a cheap Italian straightener in Rome.

Plug/prong adaptors are cheap and light. If you have any doubt, just buy a new one. Never hurts to have an extra.

If your existing adaptor is both a prong adaptor and a voltage adaptor, personally, I'd leave it at home. Better to go with a new, simplier device.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
9. Re: Voltage adaptor USA to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 04, 2012