We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

Here is my review of the Red Apartment at Residenza Giubbonari. You can see the website at www.residenzagiubbonari.com . One owner owns several apartments in the same building. I did not see any of the others, but the general comments should apply. Our apartment looked just like the pictures on the website, so I would assume the others do too, but you never know.

The apartment is located on Via dei Giubbonari, which leads off of Campo dei Fiori. The building is at the other end of the street from the square, but it's only a few minutes walk. It is a very busy area, and there is quite a bit of street noise, but it didn't really bother us. It is supposed to be pedestrian only, but apparently taxis can drive on it, and our driver from Rome Cabs dropped us off and picked us up right from the door.

The apartment is a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment on the 3rd floor. There is an elevator, but once you take the elevator up to the 3rd floor, there are still maybe 8 steps to go up to the actual apartment. We walked the steps several times, and it was not a bad climb, especially compared to our apartment in Paris a couple of years ago which was on the 5th/6th floor and it seemed you just climbed around in circles forever!

The 3 of us could fit in the elevator reasonably comfortably, but I would guess more than 3-4 people would be tight (depending on the size of the people.) The elevator was unfortunately out of order when we arrived, but several people appeared from somewhere to carry our luggage for us when we arrived.

When we arrived, Cristina showed us around the apartment. She showed us a book she keeps there with the closest bakery, grocery store, etc marked on maps with directions. She also has a basket of guidebooks there, but they are just random ones people have left there, so don't count on finding what you want. There was a TV, but we didn't watch it.

The living room was quite comfortable, and we spent most of our evenings there. There are large windows that open onto the street, and it does get fairly noisy inside if you have the windows open, especially in the evening. If you close the windows and shutters, it cuts down on the noise, but you can still hear street noise. We arrived on a Saturday, and there was noise quite late into the night that night. There is a sleeper couch in the living room, which my 13 y/o daughter slept on one night and she said it was ok, but I don't think she was overwhelmed with the comfort of it. I don't think I would plan on having a light sleeper sleep in there.

The kitchen and dining area are really just part of the living room, but it's a large room and we didn't feel cramped. There was a refrigerator with separate freezer, microwave, toaster, 2 burner (I think) stove, and an oven. We didn't really do any cooking, but it was nice to have the refrigerator and a dining table to eat on.

The master bedroom is all the way in the back of the apartment, and I didn't hear any noise. It has a window, but I mainly kept the shutters closed so I didn't really look out it. I think it just looked at another building. It has what seemed about the size of a US queen bed and a dresser. There are lamps on each side of the bed and a small table. The lamps were bright enough for me to read in bed. The lamps filled up the only electric sockets at the head of the bed, so you would have to unplug them to plug anything in. I have a battery alarm clock, so it wasn't relevant to me, but my mother uses a cpap machine, so that's why I was paying attention. There is a step down to get into the master bedroom.

The master bath is off the master bedroom and has a toilet, bidet, sink, and bathtub with overhead shower. It's a handheld shower that mounts on the wall. There is a sort of folding glass thing along the edge of the bathtub (like a shower door but it folds up) which works well if you have it inside the edge of the bathtub. The first time I showered, I had it along the edge of the bathtub and then water gets all over the floor. The lighting at the mirror was adequate for me, but might have been too dim for someone who uses a lot of cosmetics or something.

The second bedroom is off the entry hall and has 2 twin beds. There is a light for each bed and additional electric sockets at the heads of the beds. There is a shelf that runs along the wall at the head of the beds, which is the only storage in that bedroom.

We did not hear street noise in either bedroom, and the beds were perfectly comfortable. I would say the master bedroom was on the firm side, but I like firm beds. My daughter said the beds in the other room were softer. (She moved around, sleeping in both bedrooms and the living room.)

One odd thing is that neither bedroom had any closet space, but there were 3 closets in the entry hall. I would guess each was about 3 feet wide with shelves in half and space for hanging clothes in the other half. This was not an issue for us, but it was odd to have to go into the hall to get your clothes.

The second bathroom had a toilet, sink, shower stall, and an apartment stackable type washer/dryer. I think there was a bidet too, but I wouldn't swear to it. The shower was not large, but large enough for a large person to use. My daughter liked it better than the master bathroom shower, but I don't really know why. Water pressure was not amazing in the master shower, and daughter said it was about the same in the other shower, but it was adequate to rinse conditioner out of my hair without difficulty. I have very long hair, so rinsing conditioner out of it is my gauge for water pressure adequacy. The only issue we had with the second bathroom is that a couple of nights my daughter saw bugs in it. They looked like silverfish to me, and there were maybe at most 3 at a time, so I didn't think it was a big issue, but daughter has a bug phobia. I saw one once in the master bathroom, but never saw any anywhere else in the apartment. We didn't use the washer/dryer as we were only there for 9 days.

I really liked this area. We could walk to Vatican City and the Colloseum/Forum area. It was about 5 min to Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, where we could catch the #64 bus to Termini. There were other buses there, but we only used that one. It took us about an hour to walk to St Peter's Square and the Colosseum/Forum area, but my mother walks quite slowly, so I would probably cut that in half at least for people walking at average speed (whatever average speed is.) I think it took us 20-30 min to walk to the Pantheon.

There are a ton of restaurants in Campo dei Fiori, and we had good food at the ones we ate at. There are a couple of gelato places too. I'm sure there are restaurants on the side streets in there (which Cristina told us to eat at rather than the ones actually on the square, but we just went with the easiest option.)

We are not really shoppers, but my daughter did get some clothes and earrings right on Via dei Giubbonari. Of course, she got the earrings at Accessorize, which I think is British, so that might not really count, but she had lost her one pair she brought with her. There were tops for €8 and things in that price range. Usually I don't buy clothes in Europe as they are just too expensive once you count the exchange rate, but these weren't bad at all. There's also a fruit and vegetable market in Campo dei Fiori almost every day (I think maybe it's not there on Sundays), which we walked through but didn't buy anything at.

I would definitely stay here or in one of Cristina's other apartments if we go back to Rome. Cristina was very quick to respond to emails before our arrival. I asked her about printer access as I was thinking about buying advance tickets to the Vatican, and she offered to let us use her office computer to print out the confirmation or if I forwarded it to her to print it out and put it under our door. She was also helpful when I asked about outlets for my mother's cpap machine, and offered to provide an extension cord if needed. We did not have any problems during our stay, but I would expect they would be addressed efficiently. The elevator was fixed by the time we got back home on our first day.

Another nice thing was that Cristina allowed us to check in early. I think check in time was 3PM, and we arrived about 11 or so (I think), and checked in then. She had previously offered if the apartment was not ready that we could leave our luggage in her office in the building.

You do need to sort out recycling, but that was not really a problem, and she asked that we put the nonrecycling trash and one of the recycling bags (can't remember which now) in bins in a room downstairs in the building. There was also a cleaning lady that came in once during our stay and changed the linens. I think she comes once a week, but I don't remember what day. She also took away the recycling we had collected up to that point.

There was wireless internet access in the apartment. There were 2 passwords in the book, and once we figured out which one worked, the internet worked fine our whole stay. We only used it in the living room, so I don't know if it would have worked in the bedrooms or not.

There were free local calls, but we didn't use the phone. She asked that you have a calling card for international calls, but we used the Google phone over the internet to call home.

Brooklyn, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

Great review! I wish I had read it before using worldwide accomm the last time I was in rome. I had a terrible, unsafe experience with them (is there a forum to review where NOT to stay?). Luckily I go to Rome quite often and will definitely try this place during one of my upcoming visits.

12. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:26 am, March 13, 2014
buffalo, ny
Level Contributor
8 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

Thanks for very thorough review. I am going there this Monday (!!) and can't wait. Cristina has been fabulous so far.

california
Level Contributor
666 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

2 years ago, we rented the Yellow apartment for 2 weeks and last December, I had the Blue apartment for a whole month! Christina was a dream to work with, the apartments were well stocked and clean. I will certainly stay with Christina again on my next visit to Roma.

Dublin, OH
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

For those who have stayed or looked at both the Blue and Red apartments, which would you choose as a first choice if both were available?

I have both of these apartments on hold until we make a decision by tomorrow. We will be staying there for 3 nights in late June prior to an Eastern Med. cruise. There are four people in my family - myself, husband 19 year old son and 16 year old daughter. It sounded like maybe the Blue living room is a bit larger than the Red? My main concern would be noise and it sounds like the new windows have taken care of that problem. Thanks for any input at all!

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

Well, I haven't seen the blue apartment, but the living room in the red apartment was certainly large enough for 4, even if you were staying longer than 3 nights. IIRC there was a couch and 2 arm chairs, so plenty of seating space.

calgary,ab
Level Contributor
165 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

Thank you for posting these reviews. I am considering these apartments to rent in Dec 2013.All are available but I am thinking of renting the smaller ones since I don't think we would be using the terrace in Dec/Jan.

Ozark
Level Contributor
98 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

We just returned from Rome, where we stayed 8 nights in the Red Apartment. I have little to add to the above review. We ( grandparents and one grandson) were very comfortable. We enjoyed the ease in walking to the Campo Fiori for dinner each night, with gelato of course. Each morning, we walked to the cab station, or we kept walking depending on how far away we needed to go. Most days, we returned by way of the pantheon, as our grandson thought the best gelato was at the Cremaria,across the street.

As far as the steps, we always took the elevator to the 3rd floor and walked down to the apartment on the 2nd floor. Of course, our grandson never used the elevator.

If you are going to use the washer/dryer,get directions as we never got it to really work right.

Staying in an apartment seemed much more comfortable than a hotel, and a better price for 2 bedrooms and a nice, large living room. I would stay here again.

Louisville, KY
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

We (2 adult couples) are staying in the red apartment at the end of September, so I LOVE reading the updates. Can't wait!

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Residenza Giubbonari Red Apartment Review

We are a similar family traveling at the exact same time (also doing the Easter Med cruise and Rome and Venice) and looking for info on these apartments - do let me know if you ended up renting with them and if anyone had anything negative to say....