We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

Cleveland
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

We have reserved and paid for four tickets on line through Trenitalia (LeFrecce). We have confirmed e-ticket. How do we check-in? Do we need to validate or just show ticket before be board train? Tickets from Venice to Rome.

NY
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

Assuming this is a legitimate ticket, e.g. if it is ES it shows a train number, coach and seat number) then just get on the train and show it to the conductor when asked for your ticket. There is no one to check in with before you get on the train and I doubt you could stuff it in the validating machine (and a ticket with a reserved seat does not need validating anyway since it is good only on the specific train and coach and seat number. I am not sure in case you got a regional ttain ticket, (which is possible only within a closer time to the date) then the procedure might be different but if your ticket shows a specific train # and date I do not think you need to validate, others may be able to advise on this.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

Here are the rules on electronic tickets for the unreserved and undiscountable "regionale" trains:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

I recommend that travellers NOT NOT purchase these tickets (for the "regionale" trains) electronically, but rather get a paper ticket at the train station when in Italy.

Edited: 5:34 pm, May 02, 2011
texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

TravelSmith, why would you say, "ASSUMING it's a legitimate ticket. . . ?" Is there some doubt it would be legitimate?

N of Toronto
Level Contributor
142 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

We just bought tickets online (trenitalia.com) from Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome and paid for them with Visa. Hooray! Last year we couldn't buy them online! These are both for the fast train and are for the non refundable MINI tickets.

Then we had trouble printing the PDF file which is the e-ticket. It did however send us an email with the details - train number, date/time, car and seat number and a PNR. I printed the email as well as texted the abovementioned details to my cell phone in case I lose the piece of paper. I think when the agent comes around, we just need to show him the email?

Hope it works, wish us luck - we are there next week.

NY
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

I only mentioned the "assuming" because there are several sites selling these train tickets, but if they were purchased directly from trenitalia.com there should be no problem. There is one other site that was useful when a US credit card did not work, but that problem seems to be a lot less troublesome these days.

Ambler
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

I just got back from a trip to italy, and I had purchased all of my tickets from Trenitalia.it

I didn't need to do anything other then show the ticket agent (on the train) my print out of the ticket with the PNR code.

I never had to validate anything before getting on, or anything extra. I also chose the 'ticketless' option i think it was called. It was the one selected by default when purchasing.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

I did most of our bookings on La Frecce (which is trenitalia). This enables you to only see the fast trains and you get to select your own seats. It was also easier to navigate I thought.

The instructions for all my tickets clearly say to print out the form they sent with PNR code and just show it to someone on the train who will scan it in.

They are "ticketless" which means you never get a ticket. Someone on the train will just scan the confirmation code in once you are onboard.

California
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

What is the train station at Mestre (mainland of Venice) called on trenitalia.com? Ve. Mestre, Venise Mestre, Venezia Mestre, Venezia Mestre Ospedale

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

Trenitalia calls Mestre station Mestre.

To see trains to/from Mestre, say you want trains to/from Venice. The site will show which trains also call at Mestre by showing MESTRE in red.

California
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: e-ticket purchased from Trenitalia

However, "Mestre" alone is not one of the choise from the pull down menu when I try to book. They are: Ve. Mestre, Venise Mestre, Venezia Mestre, Venezia Mestre Ospedale. Are they the same?

Thanks/